Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Speedometer Drive

Pendle

Conquest Speedometer Drive

Post by Pendle »

The speedometer on one of my cars has not worked since I got the car (I have used a cheap GPS speedometer to be able to drive the car). I have previously checked out the speedometer and cable, which are both fine. Today, I removed the drive pinion from the transmission - pinion and related shaft are fine, but the "Driven Shaft Speedometer Gear" is rotating on the shaft - ie, gear key is missing. The previous owner told me that he had the transmission rebuilt - I surmise that the key was omitted on reassembly. The transmission performs well, so I am reluctant to consider significant disassembly - does anyone know if it would possible to remove the "Driven Shaft Speedometer Gear" and replace the key with the driven shaft and transmission in situ (ie, by removing coupling flange, rear coover, bearing, etc)? If so, what are the dimensions of the key? As an alternative, should I consider a GPS speedometer drive (ie motor drive for original speedometer)? Are +ve earth GPS speedometer drives available?

Thank you
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports

Pendle

Re: Conquest Speedometer Drive

Post by Pendle »

I found the gearbox manuals posted by Neil on the "Conquest DHC Alarming Noise" thread. I think these answer my main question.

Thank you
Chris Young
1954 DJ 250
1954 DJ 252
1957 DJ 254
1952 DB18 Special Sports

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Glad to be of help!! :D
Normal for Norfolk

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

I’m going to stick my neck out here and say it can be done, certainly the DB18 and Lanchester LA 11 boxes can and I’m sure the Conquest would follow suit. Caveat: I assume the clearance provided by the removed prop shaft will allow the output driveshaft complete with bearing, drive flange etc., to be withdrawn from the gearbox. If the drive flange won’t pass through the chassis when fitted to the drive shaft then obviously it will need to be removed from the shaft first...no big deal.
1) Remove the prop shaft.
2) Undo the 6 bolts fastening the rear cover.
3)Tap the drive flange rearwards (if removed then refit temporarily) and the entire output driveshaft will come out complete with the speedo drive gear.
Warning! Warning!
The front end of the driveshaft is counterbored out to carry 2 bushings, (nos. 138,139 in the attachment) so make sure one or both don’t drop out when removing the driveshaft. It may also be necessary to unscrew the 1st and reverse brake band adjusters a few turns to release any side loading on the drive shaft since it is splined into these 2 planet carriers. After the drive shaft has been refitted and everything is done tighten the 2 adjusters the same number of turns to return them to their original settings.
Steve
FA47864E-0765-459C-A8D3-5D134E151B9F.jpeg
FB3E375E-7B34-4577-AD57-BE313209790C.jpeg