Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

power steering dq450

JDB

power steering dq450

Post by JDB »

Hi all, I'm desperately trying to get one of my DQs on the road before "drive it" day (about 3 weeks away) but I'm struggling to get the banjos to the power steering ram to seal (which'll be an MOT fail). I've had two sets of dowty seals off different suppliers via ebay, but still have leaks - the washers do not seem as flat as the originals, so I suspect it's their quality that is causing leaks. I've tried to source copper crush washers as an alternative but in the diameter I need (1/4" bsp), I don't seem to be able to get sufficient thickness. Can anyone recommend a supplier/solution?
Cheers, JB.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: power steering dq450

Post by NickDeAth »

In desperation you could try some Loctite hydraulic sealant. Not the ideal solution I know. When we have had trouble sealing hydraulic fittings at work (I work on forklift trucks) the Loctite has always done the job. Give everything a good clean with brake cleaner, remove all oil residue. Drip the sealant on all mating surfaces and assemble and leave to cure. As long as you haven't got oil gushing out from your joints it should do the job. You should be able to get the Loctite from your local hydraulic hose supplier, someone like Pirtek or a good engineers supplier.

Hope it helps.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

JDB

Post by JDB »

Thanks for the suggestion Nick, I'll give it a try if suitable washers fail to appear. I had tried gasket sealant, which works until you put any pressure through the ram. I have found a subtly different type of dowty on eBay, which are reassuringly expensive and will hopefully be up to the job. I had hoped my brother who works for RR aerospace would supply something suitably technologically fantastic but apparently he has risen too high in the company to physically touch anything that might one day be fitted to an engine; bloody useless!
JB

enen

Post by enen »

could you make your own copper washer?

JDB

Post by JDB »

A tempting idea Enen, but they need to be really precise which is why the join is so prone to leaks. I've ordered some new dowtys on ebay, they are intended for a BSA motorcycle so hopefully the connection between Daimler and BSA will guarantee a good fit... possibly.
Cheers, JB