Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Consort

mickeytwonames

Daimler Consort

Post by mickeytwonames »

Does anyone have a diagram of the correct HT lead order for the distributor cap 2.5 litres Consort Engine? - I have the firing order out of the manual as 1:5:3:6:2:4 and I assume that Pot 1 is at the radiator end. Many thanks if you can help I am trying to isolate why one cylinder is not firing - despite a good spark, fuel and adjusted tappets.
many thanks
My first Post

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler Consort

Post by NickDeAth »

If the manual says the firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4 the leads should follow around the distributor cap in that order. Get number 1 cylinder on compression stroke, lift off the cap and see which terminal the rotor arm is pointing to. Once you have established which lead is number one follow the firing order around the cap and each lead should go to the appropriate cylinder. And yes number1 is the radiator end.

Hope this helps.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hello, If 5 cylinders are firing, the 6th must be correctly wired to the distributor cap. Are you sure the non firing cylinder has a plug showing a good spark? I wonder if a compression test might give some indicators. Best, Ranald

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I would suggest doing a compression check if the spark and fuel are good. Another possibility, it could be a faulty plug not firing when under compression.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

..………..or a faulty HT lead.

Actually, thinking about this - what would I do if it were my car that has one cylinder not firing?
1. Is it simply NOT firing at all, or is it misfiring?
2. Have you identified which cylinder is not firing? I`m with Ranald - if five cylinders are firing as smoothly as it`s possible for a six cylinder engine to run on five, the sixth has got to have the correct lead to the correct point on the distributor cap.
3. If you haven`t yet identified which one, then disconnect the HT leads from one cylinder at a time. If the rough running doesn`t get worse when one of them is disconnected, then that`s the culprit.
4. Change that plug and see if that makes a difference
5. If not, then check the cap on the sparkplug end of the plug lead, then the plug lead, then the connection to the distributor cap, then the cap itself.
6. If the leads are old, maybe it`s just gone US. On the other hand, some of the modern carbon fibre HT leads are prone to breaking up, and they also need metal/copper wire in each end to make the contact with the distributor cap or the spark plug cap
7. If they are all OK, then compression test
So what have I forgotten?
Last edited by terryfrombury on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Or a cracked Dissy cap
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I had this problem last year, all cylinders 120 psi except number 2 which was zero. It was the beginning of a nightmare with a stuck valve. I ended up with a seized head as the studs had rusted up and welded themselves to the head. After drilling with many drill bits and brute force the head came off. I hope is not the case with you as my engine was perfect before this.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

You know, Mickeytwonames, it would be lovely to hear whether or not you have made any progress.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

What sort of H.T. leads have you got?

If they are not copper core but resistor leads (the core looks like string) they do go high resistance - so check each lead in turn. Also, if you have any suppressor(s) fitted - suspect them.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

You know, Mickey, seven of us have taken the trouble to give you some comments/suggestions/ideas about the problem you raised in your first post on this board. It would be really nice if you could spare the time to let us have some feedback about progress (or lack of it!) with your problem.