Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Glove box finish - DJ 254

Crossley Stephenson

Glove box finish - DJ 254

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I know I should be indoors celebrating Christmas but......there's things to do in the shed😉

While I contemplate the removal of engine & gearbox to find and cure a leak from the FF, probably not the seal, more likely the flange with the ring gear, C'est la vie.

I have been making a new dash board and trying to resurrect the severely damaged 'cardboard' glove boxes. What puzzles me is....what was the original finish inside? There is no evidence that there was any felt or similar material lining the interior. It seems the 'cardboard' was left in its raw state with the rivets still prominent.

As usual any assistance is appreciated.

Cheers
Michael

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Glove box finish - DJ 254

Post by Stan Thomas »

G'day Michael, and a Merry Christmas from all us shivering Pommies over here!

It's too cold to go into our respective sheds, so we're all relegated to watching old movies on Christmas Telly today, which I suppose is O.K. if your from the Humphrey Bogart era. .........................

That said, and if my aged memory serves me correctly, the "DJ" range had a green baise felt lining in the glove boxes (same as on snooker tables) - although as the 254 model was made in smaller numbers, they may have used a different material.

Do you still have material on the door panels - as the glove box material would most likely be a match.

Sorry I can't help further.

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks Stan for your reply and Merry Christmas.

It is nearly getting too hot to be in the shed here.....25c yesterday and same forecast for today then mid 30s for a few days.

I'll have a look amongst the remnants I kept during the strip down but I don't recall any baize like material. I know whatvnou mean though as my Special Sports has a felt lining to the glove boxes.

Cheers
Michael

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

Hi Michael
On my DJ254 the glove box has a soft Baize finish.
I will attach pictures.

Chris
IMG_1985.JPG

CHRIS J

Post by CHRIS J »

More pic's
Chris
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

I refinished the glove boxes on my car. When I looked at them they seemed to have the remains of a thin flock type surface on the cardboard. I used a paint with a textured sand finish to try and replicate this.
I repaired bits of the cardboard tabs on the back which had pulled away using an old cardboard document box and some Gorilla glue, this seemed to provide adequate strength.

Mike

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks for the pics Chris and for your suggestion Mike. I have repaired the boxes in a similar manner - brown paper, smalll bits of cardboard and PVA glue. There seems to be plenty of strength now. I will investigate internal finishes and let you know.

Cheers
Michael

CDemler

Post by CDemler »

Hi,
All Daimler glove boxes had a flocked finish.
You can buy flocking kits on Ebay in all different colours.
Most of the Daimler glove boxes where in a sandy beige colour.
Exept for the V8250 which was black in the centre dash and grey in the glove box.
Chris

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The depth of knowledge on this forum is astonishing!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)