Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Buying (or not) a Daimler Conquest Century

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: Buying (or not) a Daimler Conquest Century

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

Not sure if these might be of use?
If someone has the relevant parts book they might be able to advise.
Did they use a different bearing in the later cars?
Attachments
WP_20190128_003.jpg

Damian Mills

Post by Damian Mills »

Hi everyone

I promised an update on here when there was something to report.

Misi's friend and his father came to look at the car. The father has 3 interesting classic cars (an Ariel, a DKW and a "small" 150's Mercedes which is not a Ponton!), and could rebuild the engine himself. The son has an MGB. Both are very knowledgeable and honest enthusiasts, who could give Delilah a really good home here in Hungary. We got on great with them both, but - sadly - the father was put off by the RHD and what he perceives as a lack of enthusiasm for these cars in Hungary.

Something was previously lost in translation. In fact, the guy with the Sprinter van lives not so far from Tiszafured and not in Budapest. I understand that he will happily meet my asking price - unseen - if and when he can sell the Sprinter.

There is another Hungarian man interested in the car. He speaks no English, so his daughter called me yesterday. The guy is a car mechanic, who enjoys rebuilding engines, so I have my fingers crossed that he will come to Tiszafured and fall in love with Delilah! I am waiting to hear from them.

In light of what I have learned in the last month or so, I have refreshed my advertisements on carandclassic.co.uk and on hasznaltauto.hu. I have also added more information on the Cars For Sale forum.

I have a number of non-car projects that I need to progress in the Spring, so I am hoping that I can find Delilah a good new home before the end of March.

Kind regards

Danny
(DLOC Member No. 1418-18)

Damian Mills

Post by Damian Mills »

I am pleased to say that this thread has a happy ending, for the car if not necessarily for me.

I sold the car today, to a father and son from Western Hungary. The new owners are friends of Misi, who started this thread. Between them, they have a very interesting collection of classic cars. They intend to restore her over about 2 years, and to register her in Hungary as an Old Timer.

I recommended DLOC and these forums to the new owners, and gave them a copy of The Driving Member.

For me, personally, I cannot say that Daimler ownership was a predominantly happy experience. We called the car Delilah. My wife and I love 50's cars in general, and Daimler and Alvis in particular. Delilah was going to be something for us to enjoy for many years, but it was not to be. I bought this car as an enthusiast, but I failed to do thorough due diligence before the purchase. I bit off more than I could possibly chew in rural Eastern Hungary, and as a result I ended up losing a lot of money, time and energy. Blood, sweat and tears were also involved!

Graham Emmett and I discussed that you don't really own these cars, you are merely a custodian of them for a time. My custodianship of this car lasted exactly 6 months. During the first few weeks I made significant improvements to the electrics and suspension, as well as fitting 5 brand new modern tyres to give excellent grip and handling. I eventually found new owners who have the skills, experience, resources and contacts to take the old lady to a new level. I lived through interesting times due to this car. So I am left with the hopes that my brief custodianship added something to the life and history of this vehicle and that she will go on for many more years.

So, in answer to the heading of this thread. Unless you have very deep pockets or you are able to do most of the maintenance yourself (including being skilled enough to rebuild an engine yourself), I would have to advise NOT.

Danny