Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

barker ss seat back

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

barker ss seat back

Post by Db n j »

I am looking for help about the padding for the seat-back for the Barker Special Sports.

I have complete replacement seat squab, so no issues there, but the seat frame is bare. I understand that there should be frame with upholstery springs on which the
outer leather cover sits, but would like any detail, photos etc,

(of course if anyone has a spare seat, or the springs that would be ideal)

Thanks

terryfrombury

Re: barker ss seat back

Post by terryfrombury »

Hey-yup David,

When I was doing my Special Sports - which was one of the few original cars with a rear bench seat - I did a fair amount of research. I came across two other remaining cars with bench seats, both of which were rather different. Rightly or wrongly I came to the conclusion that as there had been so few rear bench-seated cars, they were each rather different.

"Hey Joe, there`s another awkward ********** wants a bench seat in the back. Will you sort it?"

The only truly common element was the modification to the internal rear parcel shelf and to the bulkhead between the boot and the passenger compartment. Without taking 6 inches out of that parcel shelf there is no way of fitting a bench seat.

Let me know if you want anymore info.

Cheers to you all in sunny Newport.

Terry

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Hello Terry, having owned a DBSS some years ago I'm always interested to hear about variations. Would it be possible for you to post some photos of your car's rear seat and parcel shelf?

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Terry,

Thanks for the reply - actually its the back of the front seats I am missing - as it happens the FHC has a bench seat, which fits very nicely
(not for people with "big bones" though - it works well because the hood and frame don't get in the way)

Do you have any knowledge of the spring arrangement for the Front seats ??

Barry,

Our car was (allegedly) one of 6 converted by Appleyards of Leeds from convertible cars, at which time I think the bench seat was added.

Its an early car (body 23), so has lots of small differences from the later cars - different rear number plate, brass radiator crown, different quarter lights,
and door cappings. I have swapped e-mails with Kevin Bennett who owned the press car, so I think there is more. The FHC has aluminium rear-wheel spats,
and I have checked 2 later cars (so far) and both had steel).

Thanks for chatting

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hey-yup you two
David, I`m being a bit thick today, but am I correct in understanding that your front seat is a bench as well as the back? If that is the case, then sorry but I have even less idea than usual.
Barrie, I`ll try to send you some photos.
Cheers
Terry

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Terry,

Must be the petrol fumes !!

The Front seats are same as all the other Special Sports

(the bench seat is in the back, instead of the more usual single seat which sits sideways)

The problem area is the back of the seats, which have been stripped to the wooden shell. I need to find replacement seats,
or spring sets on whioch to hang the new leather. Even photos would be great, if anyone can help.

Thanks

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Now I did say that I was being thick, but...……………………

I understand that your front seats are like SS front seats....

……..and I understand that your rear seat is a bench...……

……..and I understand that you need a seat back ...………

……..but am I to assume that it is a back for the REAR seats that you need?

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Oh dear! I think I have inadvertantly sent this topic seriously 'off piste'
(And I think I'm about to make it worse)
Terry kindly sent me some pictures of his car which I attach with his permission.
a2.JPG
a3.JPG
a1.JPG
It's an interesting interpretation which gives room for a couple of children.
Personally, when I rode in the back of my car in the third sideways facing seat I always felt very comfortable and cosy.
Note from Terry's picture how spacious the roof line is.

I'm still intested in variations of the DBSS and here's an old picture of mine of an Applyard taken in 1973.
Appleyard Barker FHC 1973.jpg
I don't s'pose this is yours Db n j?
Also, could we please have some interior and exterior pictures of your car please?

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Guys, it's good to talk!

Terry, it's the back of the front seats that I need. Do you remember or have pictures of
The padding underneath the leather ?

On the subject if back seats, the actual bench looks similar to Terry's but I didn't find any arm rests, so I'll have a look again.

Most interesting the picture of haj, from the 70's. It looks like a very tidy example. For sure its not our car, but very similar. So far, there are 3 known cars. Ours, David Beales, and a third car I call the blue car. This car ended I think in Blackpool, then to Germany after which it was returned to a drop head. So, either your car was originally blue, or it's a fourth car. Do you have any history ?

Does anyone know if the car is registered at Dvla ?

More later

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

That reg looked strangely familiar, it's david beales car. So waiting restoration.