Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Regency Rear Bumper

dtaylo30

Regency Rear Bumper

Post by dtaylo30 »

I have removed the rear bumper and am now struggling with how to remove the brackets from it. See pictures.
The brackets are slotted but the bumper studs are at opposing ends of the slots so the brackets are effectively locked in place.
Anybody know the solution?
Attachments
20190306_094013 2.jpg
20190306_094013 2.jpg

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Regency Rear Bumper

Post by Db n j »

I'm not an expert at such a modern vehicle, but it looks like bolts through to captive nuts in the bracing-pieces.
So, use lots of freeing agent in advance, maybe heat before trying to turn the nut
(there is a fair chance the bolt will sheer anyway)

Good luck with the restoration !

h.j.thomassen

Post by h.j.thomassen »

One side has an ordinary nut. Maybe you could try a nut splitter on that one (Google for 'nut splitter')
and if the nut is off you might be able to wiggle to make the other side somewhat loose.
That might provide more room to get penetrating oil closer to the thread.

Hendrik-Jan

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I’d grind the nuts off flush with the bracket and punch it through. But there again I’m known for my butchery!

I will add that new bumper bolts are available from Namrick 😃
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

You're trying to remove that horizontal section of metal with two holes in the centre and mounted over a stud at each end? Looking at the condition it's possible that it has welded itself with rust to the metal where the stud is sitting. Perhaps get a hammer and chisel and attack the bracket from above and below the stud and see if you can get any movement.

JDB

Post by JDB »

Are you sure the stud is fixed to the welded mounting plate? I seem to remember on the Majestic Major, which has a mounting that looks the same as yours, that the stud is in fact a coach bolt and is loose in the welded mounting plate but captive due to the proximity of the main bumper body. It may be being held firm by a mix of rust and chrome plate, if you can get at least one of them moving you should have the clearance to remove the detachable bracket.

dtaylo30

Post by dtaylo30 »

Thanks very much for all your replies.
I had assumed that the studs were welded to the plates welded to the bumper.
Captive bolts in slots makes sense as it would allow for some adjustment on assembly.
Tried looking under one of the inboard brackets with a mirror and torch and it does look like there is a bolt head under there.
So I am now hoping I can free the inboard studs. The outboard ones are pretty impossible to get to with the horizontal brackets in place.

dtaylo30

Post by dtaylo30 »

On further investigation I found that the studs on the plates welded to the bumper are in fact weld studs and not captive bolts.
So the solution (after some thought): I got a big screw driver which I was able to get just under the outboard edge of the inner welded bumper bracket and heaved on it.
Doing this I was able to slightly flex the bracket enough to tip the stud very so slightly inboard so the horizontal bracket was able to lift and clear the stud.
Did the same at the other end and the horizontal brackets are off the bumper.