If you would like to join the DLOC, please visit the Club's website http://www.dloc.org.uk/
Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation after nr. as this negates search.

Special Sports head torque settings

Eric990j

Special Sports head torque settings

Post by Eric990j » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi all

Could anyone let me know the tourque settings for a 1951 special sports cylinder head. I’ve seen lots of data when I searched but not the figures I need. Is there a manual with the data I should print out?

Best regards

Eric

clevitt

Re: Special Sports head torque settings

Post by clevitt » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi Eric,
I researched this question when refitting my own cylinder head two years ago, and found various figures between 26 and 50 lb/ft. The lower end figures were probably for the DB18 Saloon / Consort, which uses 3/8 " dia bolts rather than the 7/16" used on the Special Sports. In the end, I used the figures in David Beale's workshop manual of 43/67 lb/ft , and chose a lower end figure of 45, since when there have been no problems with the cylinder head.
Chris

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you very much Chris, it also puts my mind at rest as I was finding many different results and could not work out what was what ! I should get a copy of David’s workshop manual.

Best regards

Eric

grahamemmett

Post by grahamemmett » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 am

Eric, you’ll find all the same information on www.db18.org
Go to the Document Store page, then look down the Repairs Document List until you see the Repair Manual. Click on that and the manual is displayed.
Graham Emmett
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)
https://www.db18.org