Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports head torque settings

Eric990j

Special Sports head torque settings

Post by Eric990j »

Hi all

Could anyone let me know the tourque settings for a 1951 special sports cylinder head. I’ve seen lots of data when I searched but not the figures I need. Is there a manual with the data I should print out?

Best regards

Eric

clevitt

Re: Special Sports head torque settings

Post by clevitt »

Hi Eric,
I researched this question when refitting my own cylinder head two years ago, and found various figures between 26 and 50 lb/ft. The lower end figures were probably for the DB18 Saloon / Consort, which uses 3/8 " dia bolts rather than the 7/16" used on the Special Sports. In the end, I used the figures in David Beale's workshop manual of 43/67 lb/ft , and chose a lower end figure of 45, since when there have been no problems with the cylinder head.
Chris

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

Thank you very much Chris, it also puts my mind at rest as I was finding many different results and could not work out what was what ! I should get a copy of David’s workshop manual.

Best regards

Eric

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Eric, you’ll find all the same information on www.db18.org
Go to the Document Store page, then look down the Repairs Document List until you see the Repair Manual. Click on that and the manual is displayed.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

Hi guys, just thought I would update you. The head is back on and I also took the time to polish a few bits while I was waiting for the radiator! I was umming if I needed to do the radiator but read on the forum it’s a must if you had overheating, that was correct advice once it was opened. Oh well she should run well by the weekend hopefully.
A bit more spannering to do.....

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Eric,

Just wondered if you had flushed the block ?

If the radiator is blocked, there is a good chance that the block is silted up as well.

The engine slopes backwards, so the silt tends to go that way too.

It's easy to do with the head off, but can still be done now. This means removing the 4 core plugs on the carb side, and the drain tap. Push water through the pipe from the thermostat, and rod through the holes.

You will take ages to get clear water.

Good luck

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Way back in the dim and distant past (when we had a proper Government and a party to replace them with) servicing and/or reconditioning the radiator was a standard part of the job when fitting a new or recon engine - as was washing down the engine bay - all for four shillings (20p) an hour.

Eric990j

Post by Eric990j »

Hi,

Yes I cleaned the block thourouly for 2 hours with my son, one on each side and taking turns with a stout wire to poke the grunge and a water pressure jet. The temperature needle now sits just above 1/4 so much better and will have to see how we go when it warms up.

Brake lights stopped working now so back under I go! New tyres needed too, I’ll start a new thread.

Having fun (still)...

Eric

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Brake lights - you’ll find a wiring diagram on www.db18.org

Tyres - I’ve just switched to radials and it has transformed the steering and directional stability. It hasn’t made the steering heavy as people may tell you, on the contrary it’s made it easier.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

What tyre pressures Graham? I use 35 psi all- round on my Special Sports which you have driven. I have never driven a SS with crossplies but enjoy my SS with radials and have no issues with directional stability, rather the contrary.

Cheers
Michael

PS see you at Peebles.