Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cylinderhead Gasket Daimler 15

Rolf B.

Cylinderhead Gasket Daimler 15

Post by Rolf B. »

Good afternoon,

after refilling the completely rebuild engine of our 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé with coolant, the liquid was draining into the camshaft compartment as well as through the asbestos-like mid-layer of the original Payen copper cylinderhead gasket.

One reason for penetrating has been the gaps between the threads in the engine block and the inset helicoils and additionally the gaps between the helicoils and the cylinderhead studs. Another fact must have been a penetration of coolant into the asbestos-like layer of the cylinderhead gasket, where the studs passes through the punched holes of the gasket.

The original Payen cylinderhead gasket don’t have eyelet rings around all punched holes to seal the connection between the waterways of engine block and cylinderhead and therefore to seal the asbestos-like layer against seepage too.

So now we have a modern type of cylinderhead gasket, which is made of a kind of fibre-like material. This gasket don’t have all the punched holes respectively smaller holes for the waterways between engine block and cylinderhead.

Does anybody have experience – positive or negative ones – of this new kind of cylinderhead gasket with their less existence of punched holes, in terms of thermal problems due to less waterway opening strokes?

Another question is because this new type of cylinderhead gasket doesn’t have eyelet rings at each punched hole for the waterways, is this fibre-kind material resistant against penetrating of the coolant?

As we – my son and I – don’t like to detach the cylinderhead again for a third time, I will be glad for any hint.
Cylinderhead gaskets new and old one, Daimler 15
Cylinderhead gaskets new and old one, Daimler 15
Kind regards
Rolf B.

Beat Weibel

Re: Cylinderhead Gasket Daimler 15

Post by Beat Weibel »

I have no experience but blocking water ducts by the cylinder head gasket appears to me a risky endeavour.
BR
Beat

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hoi Beat,

I've the same mixed feeling too.

Es Grüessli uss em grosse Kanton / Best regards from Germany
Rolf B.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

I'm not an expert, but I hear that there are a number of different heads and blocks.

Could this be a factor, is the correct head gasket being used ??

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

About this new cylinderhead gasket for my 1933 Fifteen I was told by the manufacturer: "This gasket was developed to improve coolant flow around the rear cylinders of the engine, as many of water holes have been omitted to give improved coolant circulation."

But beeing an engineer, I challenge statements and try to get my own opinion, which must be convinient to my logical understanding. And about the given declaration I'm currently not convinced. I'm scared of overheating the engine especially the cylinderhead.

Rolf B.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hello, I can’t talk for the Daimler 15 but i can confirm it wasn’t unheard of for the manufacturers to improve cooling by using revised head gaskets to block some of the water passages. I use one of these revised gaskets (copper) in my 1933 Lanchester. In fact, i have a road test article for my car dated august 1933 and it mentions that the test car had a new type gasket. Good luck, Ranald

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi ,is it possible to purchase these Gaskets for the 4 Cly 1444cc Engine ?

Cheers Al😊😊