Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DH27 turn indicator and horn switch issues

andyjchmiel

DH27 turn indicator and horn switch issues

Post by andyjchmiel »

Hi – working on the electricals and decided to see why the horn was not working properly and wanted to see if I could figure out what was wrong the turn indicators.

I pulled out the center shaft from the steering wheel with the horn/turn indicator connected on the top end. Dismantled the turn switch and found one of the connection was broken and missing …… the horn connection was just dirty.

Any thoughts on Unit replacement? Also dumb question but were these self-centering?

Thanks,

Andy

Bob Frisby

Re: DH27 turn indicator and horn switch issues

Post by Bob Frisby »

I'm not familiar with the DH27 in particular, but it sounds like the turn-signal / horn control is the standard Lucas variety used on lots of cars, including both my Empresses, and my Austin-Healey. The control head you see is on the end of a "stator" tube which is inside the steering tube, but does not turn with it. So it remains "centered", if that's what you meant. This stator tube exits the far (front) side of the steering gearbox, and is held (I think) by a special nut. If you look you will see four wires coming out of the bottom of the tube. That is the place to disconnect wires, if necessary.

If you are asking whether the turn signals are self-CANCELLING, the answer is yes. I just had one of these apart recently. It had come loose such the wires were getting twisted up in the tube (not good).

I don't know of a source for parts. I suspect you'll be looking for a complete unit at a specialty salvage/breakers yard. I see a reproduction on ebay at over $300, but it says it only work with adjustable steering columns. I have seen originals on ebay, but you might wait a long time. Sorry I'm not more help!

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA
DB18 Empress & DF302 Empress

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Peter Ruifrok might be able to offer some advice?
Normal for Norfolk

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Is the horn push circular and placed in the centre of the switch assembly or is it an offset rectangular affair? Does it have a loud/soft selector? I might have a spare one, but there are 2 or 3 different types of these beasts, so could you send a couple of photos of it?

Steve

andyjchmiel

Post by andyjchmiel »

Hi – thanks for your reply’s ….. I am happy to say I fixed the issues …… I replaced the broken connector with a rivet type head (with screw thread) that I found in my junk tin - it was holding an old set of points together…… it was perfect high and diameter – also just replaced old grease on the Cancelling mechanism and it is working fine now………… I love these old cars because you can actually work on them …..oh happy days.

Andy