Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

ss woodwork

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

ss woodwork

Post by Db n j »

For our DB18 Special Sports, we need to replace some of the actual wood (not the veneer), and wanted to know what wood was used by Daimler
at that time.

Also, does anyone know what colour paint for the bulkhead wood, and the metal bulkhead on same car. Our car appears to be originally green
over cream, so does the underbonnet area have cream, green, or maybe black ??

(I have no evidence left - everything was stripped and primed before I started)

Thanks

Crossley Stephenson

Re: ss woodwork

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

DnJ

I think th e wood was English Ash but when I restored my SS it wasn't available and I used American Ash that was readily available.

R U going to Peebles? Would love to catch up.
Cheers
Michael

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Michael - thanks for the reply. Its not the structural part of the body I need, its the solid wooden trim like the door cappings , header rails etc.

I imagine its some variety of hardwood, but which ?

Ref Peebles, we are unsure (I know its late). When are you arriving / were else are you visiting - send me an email and lets see if we can do something.

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

I think it was mahogany, David. On my SS the four pieces around the inside of the windscreen were mahogany - polished and varnished, but not veneered. The dash and the door cappings were veneered hardwood - so it doesn`t really matter which hardwood, but I think they were mahogany as well.
Hope this helps.
Terry

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks terry, I'll work on that basis for now. I can take along the sour cappings to get a match.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi David,
Getting a match would be the best course.
I thought it was walnut with a walnut grained veneer.
The other thing is the final finish. My car which I think is original is a soft shine, not a brilliant shine as you'd expect in a saloon.
It makes sense driving on a sunny day with the hood down as a brilliant finish would be very reflective and may cause glare.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Thanks Peter - yes nothing beats taking a piece of the original trim along to a wood stockist - just where that is will be my next challenge.

Since we did wood on the Empress, our local stockist of hardwood has closed, so I'll have to do a sweep for a new place.