Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest chassis oiling system bleeding

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest chassis oiling system bleeding

Post by Phillmore »

Bearing in mind that the one way valves in the expansion tank allow the oil to flow in one direction, would it be feasible to bleed the system from the reservoir side of the expansion tank rather than the other side as Daimler suggest?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

qantasqf1

Re: Conquest chassis oiling system bleeding

Post by qantasqf1 »

Andy, I looked at the schematic of the lubrication system and I have to say I can see no reason why it can’t be bled from the reservoir tank as you suggested. However, it would be a good idea first of all to ensure the two one-way valves in the expansion chamber are clean and operating properly. Personally I can’t understand why Daimler advises disconnection of the distributor pipe at the expansion chamber to bleed the system unless they’re worried the reservoir tank may not be able to handle the pressure exerted by the bleed pump when it’s operated too enthusiastically! The chassis lube system is pretty basic and as long as the union to each lubrication point is disconnected (maybe one at a time) while the system is being pressurised until oil flows out then I can’t see why there should be a problem. Having said that I stand to be corrected on this. In short, I would try this out.
Steve

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Thanks Steve,

Do you know how the one way valves work? The manual just says if they don't function the expansion tank is not serviceable and must be replaced.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Andy, the valves look very much like spring-loaded ball valves judging by the diagram. They’re certainly one-way valves and It looks like they can be unscrewed from the expansion chamber, but whether they can be repaired is another matter. The upper valve of the expansion chamber opens when the oil expands from heat generated by the exhaust pipe forcing oil past the valve to the chassis. When it cools down the subsequent contraction of the oil closes the upper valve and the lower one opens allowing in oil from the reservoir. If you pressurise the oil from the reservoir the oil will be pumped past both valves which will both be open in this condition.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes that's how I understand the system works. Where did you find the schematic Steve? Does it look as if the balls could be displaced under pressure?
Andy

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Andy, I don’t think the valves feature balls per se, they look more like a semi spherical affair and I doubt they could be displaced. The illustration is in the chassis section of the Conquest workshop manual:
29C70310-40EE-45ED-9C97-EB99077B0890.jpeg