Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Idling speed

Daisy

Idling speed

Post by Daisy »

Conquest century idling speed too fast running at 2,500 what could be the cause?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Idling speed

Post by A.N.Other »

If you haven’t been tampering with anything then I would suspect a sticking throttle or choke, linkage, cable, lever or the like.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

:idea: How about the throttle returning spring ? :)

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

If not mechanical, could be an air leak.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

I accidentally revved the bejesus out of my DE 36 once because the accelerator pedal got fouked on the carpet around the pedal opening in the floor of the car.
Frightened the bejesus out of me too, I tell you. 5.4 litres at a high rev rate in a brick garage was quite a noise.
Peter Grant

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

Bj Peter! Did u have a camera with u?
Pekka

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Good morning Peter,

Disconnect the accelerator linkage from the carbs and start the engine. This will determine if the problem is carb related, or the linkage.

If carb related, it could be sticking throttle spindles or vacuum pistons - but most likely the throttles have gone out of synchronisation for some reason. If you suspect the linkage - check the hand throttle as they have a habbit of sticking, so the linkage does not fully return to idle.

If it is the carbs (but unlikely) the setting is different dependant upon if they are the earlier type or latter diaphragm type. Idle must be set at no more than the car will just creep forward when in bottom gear and the handbrake released - bearing in mind the flywheel is fully coupled at around 900 rev/min - so a fast idle makes the car unpleasant to drive if idle is too fast.

If you get nowhere, email me on: sleevevalve@mail.com

We can then set up a dialogue and I''ll talk you through how to set everything up.

Regards,

Stan Thomas.

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello Stan,

Should your email address me @gmail rather than just @mail ??

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Pekka,
No camera, but I did have a witness, Mark Bearman, visiting Sydney from Western Australia.
I just pulled the pedal up by hand and the revs returned to normal.
I then made sure that the carpet was clear of the pedal and no problem since.
All very exciting!
Cheers
Peter Grant

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

hi Richard,

No - my email address is sleevevalve@mail.com (I'm not a "G" man - that was strictly for American television!).