Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fitting Borg Warner auto to my 54 Conquest

psweeney

Fitting Borg Warner auto to my 54 Conquest

Post by psweeney »

Seeking information/help - anyone know their Daimler Conquests really well? I could use some expert info, please.

I'm toying with taking out my Conquest (Queenie)'s now-troublesome pre-select gearbox to replace it with a Borg-Warner full automatic box (if I can source one). I use the car as a tour vehicle and it would be a huge improvement to have automatic.

I know Daimler built Conquests with a Borg Warner auto box from 1956, but does anyone know exactly which box they used? And whether it was a 'drop-in' job, or were mods required? Hopefully I may be able to source one if it's not a massive undertaking.

Any info much appreciated.

Attachments
This is Queenie
This is Queenie

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Fitting Borg Warner auto to my 54 Conquest

Post by Christopher Storey »

It was a Borg warner DG box . Whether it was a 150 model or a 250 I do not know. I certainly do not think it would be an easy drop in conversion because you will need the proper bell housing, and even perhaps more difficult will be the control linkages, both for the transmission selector and for the kickdown and governor, which if my Jaguar mark IX with DG box is anything to go by, are extremely complicated, requiring in all about 7 different rods to effect control

bakergh

Re: Fitting Borg Warner auto to my 54 Conquest

Post by bakergh »

Unfortunately the crankshaft is different for the automatic so it also would have to be replaced. It is the driving flange that is different. The automatic crankshaft flange is tapped to accept the bolts which attach the torque converter and the pre select flange has plain holes to accept a nut and bolt for the flywheel as well as a thrust button for the fluid flywheel.

Graham