Forum registration by new users: Guests should use the Register button top right but if you have difficulty Email mail @ chalkevalley.info (delete spaces).
If you would like to join the DLOC, please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/
Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.

Strange Case of Door Handles

mickeytwonames

Strange Case of Door Handles

Post by mickeytwonames » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:50 pm

On my Consort the lock on the front door is on the passenger side - was this a standard feature or do I have some variant?
Most grateful for any advice.
Michael

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Strange Case of Door Handles

Post by John-B » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:14 pm

We had this come up on the old forum, it's something to do with having a chauffeur. Ask your chauffeur :D
Someone will correct me, but it's because a chauffeur lets passengers in or out at the near side and then locks the door.
I also remember something about the driver having to move across the front seat to get out. It seems crazy and perhaps my memory is wrong.

Stan Thomas

Post by Stan Thomas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Nothing wrong with your memory John-B, that's how they were - one lock on the front passenger door - you get in then slide across!

You can of course fit a locking handle on the drivers' door if you wish, and I believe on the Conquest range the door handles are the same as Morris Oxfords of that period, which widens your search if you go trolling the 'net.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks - I must then buy a hat

Marcel Renshaw

Post by Marcel Renshaw » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:36 am

The door handles on the DB18 saloons / Consorts were also used on some Lagondas they are different to the Conquest range. Good secondhand locking handles are getting hard to find..