Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Strange Case of Door Handles

mickeytwonames

Strange Case of Door Handles

Post by mickeytwonames »

On my Consort the lock on the front door is on the passenger side - was this a standard feature or do I have some variant?
Most grateful for any advice.
Michael

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Strange Case of Door Handles

Post by John-B »

We had this come up on the old forum, it's something to do with having a chauffeur. Ask your chauffeur :D
Someone will correct me, but it's because a chauffeur lets passengers in or out at the near side and then locks the door.
I also remember something about the driver having to move across the front seat to get out. It seems crazy and perhaps my memory is wrong.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Nothing wrong with your memory John-B, that's how they were - one lock on the front passenger door - you get in then slide across!

You can of course fit a locking handle on the drivers' door if you wish, and I believe on the Conquest range the door handles are the same as Morris Oxfords of that period, which widens your search if you go trolling the 'net.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks - I must then buy a hat

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The door handles on the DB18 saloons / Consorts were also used on some Lagondas they are different to the Conquest range. Good secondhand locking handles are getting hard to find..