Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DAIMLER RESTORATION

sbjatti@gmail.com

DAIMLER RESTORATION

Post by sbjatti@gmail.com »

Hello. I am a new Member on this forum. I am planning to restore this Daimler. Couldn't find the VIN plate. I will be grateful if i can get details of this car like model, year and any other relevant details. This car I was told has the Preselector gearbox. Is it very difficult to overhaul/rebuild the gearbox and would parts be available? I will need as much information, advice and guidance as possible. Thank you in advance!
Attachments
DAIMLER.JPG
DAIMLER 3.JPG
DAIMLER 1.JPG

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DAIMLER RESTORATION

Post by Peter Grant »

Hello ,

What you have is a heavily modified Majestic DF316 saloon.

Someone has taken the trouble to remove the roof and front screen and replace the screen with a folding? screen.

The front fog lights are also modifications, and the wing top side lights appear to have been removed (but I see at least one mounting hole on the nearside front wing for that).

I have pasted in the Wikipedia entry for Daimler Majestic for you to start your research.

the engine would be a 3.8 litre six cylinder engine with an automatic (not pre select) gearbox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Majestic

Cheers and welcome to the Forum.

P Grant

sbjatti@gmail.com

Post by sbjatti@gmail.com »

Hello Mr.Grant,
Thank you very much for your very useful reply. At least now I know what I have in hand and how to proceed further. Thank you very much for the link. Greatly appreciate. Thank you once again.
Regards. Shiva Jatti

GJT

Post by GJT »

:D Out of interest, it looks as though it has a grille and bonnet from a Majestic Major and hub caps from a DS420 (?).

Good luck with the restoration.

GJT.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Everyone,
Shiva was asking where he might find the engine and chassis number.
I suggested nearside front of the block and somewhere close by on the chassis for that number.
is that correct?
Cheers
Peter G

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Sorry, that should have been offside (ie driver's side of the block).
PG

GJT

Post by GJT »

Hello Shiva,

Further to Peter’s reply to you, I quote from the handbook as follows :-

CHASSIS NUMBER
The Type Number and Chassis Number will be found on the right-hand side of the chassis frame, forward of the scuttle.

ENGINE NUMBER
The Engine Number is stamped on the petrol pump boss on the left-hand side of the engine.

Regards,

GJT