Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

special sport gearbox.

qantasqf1

Re: special sport gearbox.

Post by qantasqf1 »

David, as the top gear clutch components wear toggle action increases. Given that I would doubt your adjustment is out, although you could try screwing the stop bolt all the way in, thus taking the automatic adjuster out of the system. Theoretically toggle action would then be fierce, but in practice that’s unlikely given the low torque it has to deal with.
Steve

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hello.
Took the car for a short run and can say that normal service has resumed, I must say that flushing the gearbox removed a great deal of sediment and if that crud was in the clutch plates would explain the lazy action. However one thing that concerns me is the pull rod adjuster nuts on R.1.2.O are showing about a quarter inch of thread above the ends of the pull rods but the pull rod on top gear is level with the top of the nut ,does this mean it has come to the end of its adjustment.
Regards David .

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

That’s good news David. As far as the pull rods are concerned if they’re protruding above the adjusting nut that much then probably the brake bands are significantly worn. However, unless you want to grab the nettle, so to speak, and overhaul the box straight away (which is what’ll be needed) I would simply let it go until one of the bands finally fails or runs out of adjustment. That will show up by complete loss of drive or excessive slipping that can’t be cured. Typically the pull rods are under flush by about 1/4” If the bands are in reasonably good condition.
Steve

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hello Steve.
I think I did not explain myself clearly, the quarter inch of thread I can see is on the nut , the ends of the pull rods are a quarter inch down except top which is level with top of nut .I have no history of the car prior to 1992 it just seems strange that top has had so much automatic adjustment whereas all the other gears have plenty left, has top been manually altered in the past?
Regards
David.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Sorry, David, the misreading is all mine. If there’s one thing about the SS gearbox to remember it is that whether the top gear adjuster has been tweaked manually or not if it doesn’t slip then I BESEECH you to leave it well alone! For reasons too technical to go into here these overdrive boxes can be prone to top gear slip so if it’s behaving itself then put the lid back on and carry on driving!
Cheers
Steve

davidian

Post by davidian »

HI.
Ime inclined to agree with you , if it aint broke dont mend it. The short test drive I gave the car showed all gears including top engaging normally although it was a short run and may change when it gets warmed up . Other adjustments I made while I had the floor boards up was to engage reverse ( the pedal seems to return higher in this gear) and adjust the length of the gear change rod to give the minimum clearance below the floorboard, and the two extremes on the selector mechanism .The weather here is just too hot to give the old car a good run ( the paint would blister) so the next long run would be the Colmenar show in October. Many thanks to you all for your input which was much appreciated .
Regards David.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Follow Davidian's advice and don't alter the top gear adjustment.

As he says, the brake bands are worn given th evidence of how their adustment looks.

However, top gear is a multi-plate steel clutch which does not have brake bands to wear down - and that is why top gear appears to have so much adjustment left as opposed to the other gears.

Assuming all is now tolerably correct - leave well alone - and considering the actual future mileage you are likely to cover, the car should be fine for even longer than it's taking our Government (?) to sort out Brexit!

Regards,

Stan Thomas.

davidian

Post by davidian »

Thank you Stan.
I should be happy that all now seems well, but I wont rest until I fully understand the working of these boxes .so much of what you read seems contradictory , but for now I will leave the gear box well well alone and get on with more important things like making a new hood ( to keep the sun off).
Regards
David.