Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Tyre Pressure

mickeytwonames

Tyre Pressure

Post by mickeytwonames »

I have had fitted to my Consort 4 x ASR71 - 175/75R/16C tyres that my regular/local supplier recommended. They run fine ( a bit noisy at 65+MPH :-)
Does anyone have advice about the best running pressure - what's recommended in the Manual is perhaps too soft for modern tyres.
All the best
Michael

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Tyre Pressure

Post by grahamemmett »

Bit noisy at 65! He he he

I run mine at 45psi but they are Maxxis Taxi tyres which are designed to run at these pressures.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

mickeytwonames wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 pm I have had fitted to my Consort 4 x ASR71 - 175/75R/16C tyres that my regular/local supplier recommended. They run fine ( a bit noisy at 65+MPH :-)
Does anyone have advice about the best running pressure - what's recommended in the Manual is perhaps too soft for modern tyres.
All the best
Michael
Hi Michael, Of course I don't know when you got these tyres but I think they are trailer tyres so I'm not surprised they are a bit noisy at 65mph! To be honest I don't think you were given a good recommendation there although I expect they were quite cheap. In fact they only have a C speed rating which is a maximum of 60kmh or 38mph. You should not be doing 65mph (104kmh) on those tyres!
They are also undersized. I think the original size was 600 x 16? I'm not sure of the rim width - is it 6"? A better size would have been a 185R16 (80 aspect ratio) but they would have been very much more expensive.
The markings are as follows:
  • 175 = tyre width in mm
    75 = aspect ratio i.e. sidewall height as a percentage of tyre width
    R = Radial
    16 = wheel diameter in inches
    C = Speed rating
Passenger car tyres start with speed rating M which is reserved for special spare tyres otherwise they start at P speed rating (if you can find them) which is 150kmh or 93mph.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

I think they are a van tyre which are speed rated in excess of 100mph ,would think no tyre supplier would risk selling anything less .

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Michael,

the "C" behind 16 is for Commercial, which means it is a tyre for heavy loads (Transporters) and the tyre construction has therefore a higher number of plies, which is the result for a much stiffer rolling motion. Mostly these kind of tyres do have a more rude pattern, which is reponsible for the noisy sound.

Rolf B.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

WOW
Thanks for all that
They were the most economical new set I could afford at the time - they needed a lot of lead to get them balanced.

Thanks for the 'He He' you're quite right.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I owe Michael an apology for probably scaring him half to death! I think Rolf may be correct. To be sure what they are we'd need to see the actual tyre markings. There should be other codes on the sidewall for load limits and speed ratings.
I have a copy of Continental Tyres Technical databook for 2016/2017. At the beginning of the book is this picture and description:
Tyre Markings #1.jpg
Tyre Markings #2.jpg
There is not any other diagram for any other markings so I went on that basis.
I'd never looked in the book beyond all the details for passenger car tyres but there isn't shown any other marking layout for van tyres, which as far as I know have to follow the same standards.
Anyway, buried at the back of the book is a set of tables for different tyres and here I found:
Tyre Markings #3.jpg
and on the next page pressures dependent on loading.
Tyre Markings #4.jpg
These numbers are all taken from the ETRTO (The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) Standards so they will apply to all makes of tyres.
All of which seems to indicate a tyre pressure of 3bar would give you a capacity of 1140kg per axle.