Forum registration by users has been disabled because of many problem registrations from Russia. Email mail @ chalkevalley.info (no spaces) if you wish to join the forum and an administrator will register you.
If you would like to join the DLOC, please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/
Please don't post someone's email address. Some people don't want to risk it being harvested by spambots and GDPR regulations discourage it.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" which gives all posts in date & time order if you can't find a post or "Your Posts", as topics are sometimes moved.
Reg. nrs. Please add reg. nr. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.

Brakes - Adjustment of

mickeytwonames

Brakes - Adjustment of

Post by mickeytwonames » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:18 pm

My Consort pulls slightly to the right when I brake - is there a foolproof way (I was born on 1st April) of adjusting them. All the adjusters, Front and Back are free to move.
Many thanks for any advice.
Michael

grahamemmett

Re: Brakes - Adjustment of

Post by grahamemmett » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:35 am

Slightly? Lucky you. Mine does a full scale swerve to the right.
I’ve always put it down to it being a ‘characteristic’ of the car but would really prefer it to stop in a straight line.
If you find out, let me know!
Graham Emmett
Northwich, Cheshire
Joint DB18 Registrar (with Marcel Renshaw)
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)
https://www.db18.org

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 am

Starting with all the components you have, i.e. shoes, springs, cylinders and hoses, the only thing really is to jack up the front and , a wheel at a time,turn each adjuster up until the wheel locks solid.

Now turn that adjuster back until the wheel just has a slight "ruff-ruff" sort of sound as each shoe just catches. There might be very little if the linings have worn into the proper diameter but the aim is to get pretty much an equal amount of minimal contact between the lining and the drum when the brake is off across both front wheels.

Do the same with the back. Have an assistant help as you want to check that after the brakes have been applied, they have the same free movement as when you made the adjustment. Once all that is done, they should feel fairly square.

If they don't, hoses and cylinders start to be the likely culprits but that's maybe a future chapter !

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks for that. It is going up on the ramp today and I'll report back after my next trip to York on Thursday were it will be my Daughters Wedding Car. The Consort will now have done Three weddings and a Funeral.

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Just adjusted brakes as per instruction - car stops in a straight line almost on a sixpence.

grahamemmett

Post by grahamemmett » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 pm

Excellent
Graham Emmett
Northwich, Cheshire
Joint DB18 Registrar (with Marcel Renshaw)
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)
https://www.db18.org

Chris_R

Post by Chris_R » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 am

mickeytwonames wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm
almost on a sixpence.
You're showing your age there Mickey! :lol: :lol: