Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Door Hinges

clevitt

DB18 Door Hinges

Post by clevitt »

I'm on a mission to adjust the door hinges of my Barker SS so that I don't have to slam the drivers door shut. The passenger side shuts nicely, so I have a measure of what should be possible. The SS door profile has two distinct shoulders when viewed from the front and I can see that the larger shoulder is fouling on the door seal that runs in a brass channel up the A post side of the door aperture as the door comes close to the shut position.
IMG_1168.JPG
I was hoping that it would be possible to adjust the door hinges to raise the door slightly, but I find that both the parts of each hinge fixed to the B post and the part fixed to the door are slotted horizontally so that there is no vertical adjustment possible. Has anybody experienced this problem or has my car been fitted with an incorrect set of door hinges?
Chris

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DB18 Door Hinges

Post by Db n j »

Chris, I can only say from experience working on the Empress, that adjustment is by adding or removing shims to the hinges.

(I think you had the doors off at some point, so maybe you saw shims ?)

clevitt

Daimler Door Hinges

Post by clevitt »

Thanks for the reply David: the car came with the doors off and hinges still attached to door itself without any shims either in situ or loose in with the removed components. I did test the effect of fitting shims by inserting washers between the back of the hinge and the B post but found that the result was that the door did not sit squarely within its aperture unless the same thickness washers were inserted at all 3 hinges, in which case the effect was to shift the door forward and remove the gap at the front edge. I should explain that the door gaps are even at both front and rear edges, on the bottom edge it too small so that it is close to fouling the sill, the gap at the top is too big, so there is ample opportunity to raise the door vertically if the hinges would allow. The horizontal slots only allow the door to be set flush with adjacent body panels.
I've renamed this subject in the hope that the topic might be picked up by owners of other Daimler models that must have faced this problem. I wonder how the doors were fitted in the factory at a time when engineering tolerances were greater than they are these days?
Regards,
Chris