Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fierce take up (gear box)

ROSS70JEN

Fierce take up (gear box)

Post by ROSS70JEN »

DJ252 CONQUEST CENTURY
Thanks for help so far on fierce take up problem. On First and reverse gear.
Today I removed inner floor panel and top cover to the gearbox.
Reverse break adjuster screw was right in tight to the lock nut.
First was well in but not fully in.
I adjusted both slowly about one turn screw out each time then road tested.
At no time did I see the pull rod nuts rotate.
I moved out first about 2 full turns and reverse about 5 full turns.
Now the take up in both gears is much better and could be lived with.
How ever its not totally smooth.
Am I asking to much or should I undo the screws another 1or 2 turns?
Could I go to far or will the gear just slip.
Many thanks look forward to your advice before I replace the floor and dip switch.
Bryan

qantasqf1

Re: Fierce take up (gear box)

Post by qantasqf1 »

Bryan, as I read this you altered the setting of the horizontal adjusting bolts that screw into the reverse and first gear brake bands. Is that correct? If so then by screwing them out the toggle action would be reduced because the bolts would reduce the travel. This is an entirely novel way of altering strut travel!!! It’s also my unhappy duty to say it’s the wrong thing to do because these bolts are solely to actuate the automatic adjusters when the travel of the pullrod is excessive, i.e., when the brake band lining has worn: when band wear occurs toggle action is increased giving the fierce action you mentioned. If, as you said, the pullrod nuts didn’t rotate then nothing has been done to cure the problem because it is they that are the brake band adjusters. If you want to reduce the fierce take up then first you need to screw the horizontal adjusting bolts in as far as you can to allow maximum travel of the reverse and first gears’ struts. Next select and engage any other gear. Remove the spring from the reverse pull nut and turn the pull nut CLOCKWISE about a quarter of a turn. This reduces the brake band to annulus clearance thus reducing strut travel and reducing your fierce take up. Refit the spring and repeat for 1st gear. The fierce take up should now be reduced significantly, but if it’s still there ( if so it should be by a much reduced degree) then screw the pull nut clockwise a further quarter turn. When the fierce take up has been rectified select and engage reverse and screw the horizontal adjusting bolt out until it just touches the adjuster plate. Repeat for first gear. The automatic adjustment system of these gearboxes works well, but since they are called in to action so infrequently, depending on how much you drive the car, they can become sticky from oil deposits. When they fail to operate fierceness of engagement invariably follows.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Sound advice from the previous post!

It is also advisable to drain the gearbox and flush with parafin by running for a few minutes with each gear selected in turn, then let the box drain and dry out competely, before refilling with a straight mono-grade 30 oil. (i.e. don't use a "fancy" grade oil fortified with addatives - as that will promote brake-band slip).

Pity you re so far away, as I have the proper bus-bar setting height guages I made as an aprentice back in the 50's - although frankly (now the Foemans no longer around) we often resorted to the "feel" of the gear-change pedal to get things just right.

ROSS70JEN

Post by ROSS70JEN »

hi thanks
I think yes to your question.
I was reading the conquest service manual section G page 16 and 17.
I wound out the square adjuster screws fitted into item 6 and 7 of fig g 27
as per I think section fierce take up. adjustment on page 17.
Can you please confirm your advice and that I was wrong.
many thanks Bryan

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Confirmed! Your method was definitely the wrong procedure.
Cheers
Steve

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Phone hookup is impractical because I’m in Australia! After you’ve adjusted the pull nuts select and engage reverse. Unscrew the horizontal screw until it just touches the actuating plate and tighten the locknut. Repeat for first gear. In fact you can leave these screws threaded all the way in if you want to. If you do that after a long while the engagement will become progressively fiercer over the following year or so. When that happens simply readjust the bands as I described in my post. Bryan, these brake adjustments are very sensitive. If you don’t feel confident doing this then I would advise getting someone who’s familiar with these boxes to do it. Just a suggestion!
Steve

ROSS70JEN

Post by ROSS70JEN »

Thanks Steve all is now ok and working fine.
many thanks for your help.
Bryan