Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Worm wheel.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Worm wheel.

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I have been asked to try and identity a worm wheel.
Having failed to find it in my parts books I called on my friend Mark to check the clubs parts books.
He too can’t identify it but feels like me that it is probably early 1930’s or late 20’s
The club is missing a few parts books from it’s archive although we are trying to fix that.
Can anyone identify it?
Attachments
F8B09B48-DB60-4396-B2D7-EB2A7F3813C5.jpeg

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Worm wheel.

Post by Stan Thomas »

Good morning Marcel,

How many teeth does the wheel have, as this may assist in identifying its application - given parts books state the ratio (i.e. my 16/20 is 7/34 - so the wheel has 34 teeth).

Further, given the machining operations to hob a worm and wheel, I would venture to suggest there is a commonality of physical dimensions across axles and models - albiet with different ratios of course.

I've looked through my parts books and the number on your wheel is NOT for models V1-20, 01-50, P1-50, T.S.6-3, or 16/20.

Numerically speaking, I agree with Mark that it might be of later rather than earlier manufacture, as all the part munbers I have turned up are lower than the one in your photograph. That said, it is not unknown for identical parts to have different part numbers specific to different models and production - so best of luck trying to de-cypher early Daimler part numbers!!

It is rumured Albert Einstein tried - but gave up to study relativity and quantun physics as it was easier.

Regards,

Stan.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The ratio would appear to be 7:38, at least, that's what's stamped on it..

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

That helps Simon.

7/38 is a relatively low ratio as worm-drive axles go - which suggests its for a model with a "smaller" engine. Could it be early model 15 - although I'm sure we have the parts books available for the 15 - so Marcel will have already checked.

Stan.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I had checked my books with no success but did wonder if it was the predecessor of the 15
I will keep looking.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Marcel,

Based on my thoughts that "reversable" worm drives (to accommodate overrun) have a limiting factor as to ratio - which in turn is why early Daimlers had large wheels - is why I thought the answer we seek could have been the first generation of 15's.

There was also an 1860cc sleeve valve chassis made up until around 1928/29 (the 16/20 was 2648cc) - so based upon engine output, I assume they chose a low(er) ratio axle.

I'll delve deeper and see if I can troll up some more detailed info.

Stan.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

It was standard practice to stamp the ratio of the rear axle on the worm wheel for many types of cars - f’rinstance I’ve got a Renault (if memory serves) worm wheel with the ratio stamped on it (makes an excellent bell). So - are you certain this wheel is ex-Daimler? It may not be, although I admit the P/N looks Daimlerish.
Steve

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Hello Marcel,
not a thread I would normally contribute to as I'm not familiar with these early models, but I have a fusty copy of "Daimler and Lanchester Speciifications" dated 1938, so I had a quick look to see if there was any reference to a 7:38 ratio (5.43:1).
I found that ratio listed for the Lanchester Roadrider 6 cyl ("works symbol" 1 1/2 litre) and for the Lanchester Eleven Chassis (presumably as supplied to coachbuilders)

Don't know whether that might help a little.

regards,
John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello John,

I presume that has to be the Lanchester 14, then ??

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

What 14 as there were 2? this will fit an 14 and 11 so must be the early type pre 1939? as the later post 1939 was a different car I think?