Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DS420 help required

Morrowe

DS420 help required

Post by Morrowe »

Hi, just joined the forum. I have a 1988 DS420 which Ihave just started using for weddings. I broke down and had to be recovered and eventually worked out the issue was the electronic ignition failed. Once I replaced that I then think I put the Ht leads back in the incorrect order. When trying to resolve the battery went flat but have now recharged but have no power anywhere when turn on the ignition and clock is stopped even though battery shows charge. Is there a main fuse that may have blown or does anyone have any suggestions for what is wrong?

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: DS420 help required

Post by Christopher Storey »

These cars essentially are the same as a Mk 10 or XJ6 . The clock never works on them so I should ignore that ! The lack of power suggests some poor connection, assuming that the battery is giving 12 volts. Take off both battery leads, thoroughly clean them , smear some vaseline on the terminals and reconnect them securely . Still no power ? Then follow the main +ve cable round to the starter and check for 12 volts on all the terminals there, and for tightness of those terminals - DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE PUTTING A SPANNER ANYWHERE ON THE STARTER . Using a voltmeter, carry on checking the circuits in the fuse box ( drop down panel in centre of dash with water temp, fuel etc gauges)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Other than the clock (and I take it you mean the time-clock) - do all the other electrics work?

If the starter turns the engine, its not battery connection. If the headlights come on, its not the main feed cicuits - so the clock should be energised. It does not have a seperate fuse - but may be wired to something ellse (the horns etc.) so check everything else works to isolate the problem to the clock.

So lets assume its the clock - which I believe is of the contact-wipe/air spring type in your car - and if so, it requires hand starting.

How it works is an electical contact energises an electo-magnet to attract the balance wheel - which then dis-connects the electic supply and the balance wheel is returned by a conventional air-spring - and upon regaining electrical connection continues to repeat the cycle.

So, all you have to do is push the setting knob in for a brief moment which energises the magnet, (just setting the clock to the correct time is enough) and upon release, and the clock should start.

h.j.thomassen

Post by h.j.thomassen »

Even though I have had my share of broken clocks in my DS420 cars, I do not agree with the previous poster that they *never* work...

The DS420 does not have an "overall" fuse. The previous posters have shed light on the starter motor, but be aware that there is an "inhibitor switch" that prevents the car to be started if the gear is not in P or N. It may be worth checking that one (in your car probably located somewhere under the centre console).

As far as the other electrical equipment goes: open the middle dashboard panel (the one with the four gauges) and look at the wiring behind it.
black is ground; purple is hot at all times, although it is fused (but not dependent on contact or starter button etc). The fuse itself is easily visible behind that panel, and you might check its "upstream" connection point.

If the purple wires do not show a voltage, your problem is very high up in the circuit and might be a burnt wire (probably a brown one; brown is always hot&unfused, and is what comes from the terminal post near the battery).
If purple has power, the next colour to check is green: it is hot when the contact switch is on.

Be very careful not to short-circuit anything while you are poking around behind that middle panel. Some of those wires are able to deliver an unpleasant amount of amps.

Maybe this DS420 wiring diagram helps: http://www.myDS420.info/wiring/1990/wiring.hr.html
and the legenda with it: http://www.myDS420.info/wiring/1990/legenda.html

Hendrik-Jan Thomassen