Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1951 DB18 - need to know actual colour of 'BLUE'

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 1951 DB18 - need to know actual colour of 'BLUE'

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Midnight Blue look's nearly black in certain light but the LA10 shown above as a topic above seem's to show a very strange blue if Midnight.
The two Lanchesters shown here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3511&p=20202&hilit= ... ers#p20202

Are Midnight and clearly look the same colour , the seats are a dark blue which matches the colour Blue paint Blue interior as a normal arrangement

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Graham - Graham - Graham!!!

I could never of thought it of you!!! "Two tone" paintwork is two different colours. Two different shades of the same colour was known as Duo-tone!

Go and sit on the naughty step (or running board) for ten minutes!

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Ah Ha! Thanks Stan, a subtlety I didn't know. I like the term Duo-tone especially as Two-Tone is a type of music much loved by skinheads!

We've probably got some now elderly skinheads in the club......
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

I took my 1951 consort into the local paint suppliers (autocolour) and they scanned the paint and told me the correct colour, I also got them to make up a couple of rattle cans so I can touch in👍🏻
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

SteveJay

Post by SteveJay »

Thanks for all the comments. BTW the car was from Mold, restored by a guy called Ken Champion

I think I get the gist of what people are saying. I think its unlikely that any of the original colour is left but you never know; it was a brave restoration. I like midnight blue and it is the same colour as the seats now they have been re-upholstered and the interior all done.

I'm not sure what to do for the best, I've attached the colour it is, for me i would like it just a bit more obvious its blue but I don't want it to look bright blue. I'm beginning to think maybe its not bad for the colour it would have been.

I've also attached the new upholstery colours..

I want to be fairly purist about it - any further thoughts anyone?
Attachments
2015-01-28 13.54.07.jpg
2015-01-13 10.23.23.jpg
2015-01-13 10.23.14.jpg
MTE 44 complete at Ken's granddaughters wedding.jpg

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

this is midnight blue but looks same as above depending where it stands and the sunlight
Attachments
lanchester w4 001.jpg

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Blimey, that’s a champion standard
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

I love the LD 10's registration plate!
Peter Grant

SteveJay

Post by SteveJay »

Hi Everyone and thanks for all the comments - I have learned a lot. I looked at the midnight blue posted here and found a DB18 online that looked very similar and then set about trying to trace the owner. By fluke the car (LVU 214) was pictured at a car show and had the entry number on the window... contacted the car show and they forwarded my mail. Got hold of the current owner, lovely and helpful guy called Rob, and guess what its the original colour. Now here is where all of this comes together ...

The car was recently bare metal resprayed and Rob took the car to a shop where they colour matched it so it stayed original. The colour is called Midnight Blue ... so there you have it - all of you were pointing me in the right direction and because of the help I will now end up with a car not only the colour I wanted but will likely be the original colour too.

BTW - Rob sent me a small jar of paint left over from his restore which we will match. BTW I attach a photo of what mine used to look like

Thanks everyone

Steve
Attachments
MTE44 rear end.jpg

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Mine looked very similar to that until I had a go at it. Unfortunately the front still looks much the same!

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"