Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Leather Mould

mickeytwonames

Leather Mould

Post by mickeytwonames »

I have been away - on return found a growth of mould on some of the leather - easily wiped off.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem apart from moving to Egypt?
Best regards
Michael

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Leather Mould

Post by Stan Thomas »

Sounds like a sign of damp.

Buy some silica-gel which you can get in sachets to leave in the car which will absorb any moisture, which you can dry out in the oven and keep re-using.

Also, treat the leather with something like Stones beeswax leather polish or Gliptone - both of which are readlily available, even in Egypt.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, purchase a De-Humidifier , that will stop it 😊😊😊😊

Cheers Al 😊😊

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks - it's dank and damp in cabbage country (Worcestershire)

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Mickey - it is best to leave each window open just a crack, which will allow air to circulate . The other ideas also are good

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,
I find that a regular spray with Glen 20 is effective in keeping the damp smell at bay and seems to stop mould growth as well. particularly good on wool carpets in the car.
When i acquired my DE the smell of possum pee was quite exquisite. There was a light nylon car cover which the former owner's wife had made and that responded well to a couple of hot washes but unfortunately i couldn't put the car through the rinse cycle so I resorted to the glen 20 on the leather as there was mildew present (the car came from Queensland) and then used a good organic citrus oil based furniture reviver/ cleaner on the leather and timber work and then regular leather dressing and polishing.
The idea of a dehumidifier sounds good particularly if coupled with regular cleaning and wiping down and treatiing surfaces with appropriate good quality hide food and cleaner.
When the car was shipped to Goodwood in 2012 it sat in a container for six weeks in transit and the smell inside the car was very strong of damp leather, cloth and carpet. Leaving windows open during the day whilst it was on display helped a lot but when it got home to Sydney an entire can of Glen 20 was employed to good use to help banish the built up odour. It tends to stay with the roof down in the garage with the light cover over it against dust and seems okay. Even now, ten years after I bought it, the car has a quite different smell to the Special Sports, both cars sharing a garage.
I think the main culprit for the DE is the hood lining, I think that is forever scented by some long deceased possum!
Cheers
Peter Grant

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I live in a low lying area surrounded by streams and at this time of year damp is a constant problem. I've a slightly earlier version of the Meaco DD8L dehumidifier in my garage - works a treat at keeping mould and rust at bay.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".