Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler LQ3-20 info.

Soundmike

Daimler LQ3-20 info.

Post by Soundmike »

Greetings from New Zealand. I an completely restoring an LQ3 and seeking advise on a couple of fluids. Firstly, what grade of oil is suitable for the Luvax dampers? The front ones are devoid of oil, the rears still have clean green fluid which would appear to be about a 30 grade or greater. This would equate to about a ISO 100 hydraulic oil. Any suggestions?
The second is the indicating fluid for the "Telegage" fuel gauge. The internet tells me that it is "Tetra Bromo Ethane", C2 H2 Br4. In this country it appears to be known as "unobtaium". Chemical supply people throw up their hands in horror!! (Must be really dangerous stuff) Is there anywhere I can get it? I may have to get someone to smuggle it into the country........
All suggestions welcome, Mike.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler LQ3-20 info.

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Mike,
Have you a contact for the Victorian Daimler Club?
Steve Campbell-Wright , a member of that Club, is an absolute expert on the older Daimlers and would be able to help you regarding your questions.
Cheers
Peter Grant

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

1) Google Hobson Telegage fluid. You should find the answer there.
2) Google Luvax shock absorber fluid, ditto.
Cheers
Steve

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

I am in the same boat with researching oil for the Luvax units fitted to my LQ2/20. The internet is not particularly helpful as of course there wasn't just one variety of Luvax shock absorber. I have seen suggestions from DoT 4 Brake fluid up to heavy 90 grade oil. The only thing there is consensus on is that it should be a non additive oil.
There must surely be many pre war Daimler/Lanchester owners on here who top up their units from time to time?

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

There was quite a comprehensive discussion on Luvax and other shock absorber fluids in the past year or so. I suggest a search through the forum topics.

Teleguage fluid has also been discussed extensively - possibly more on the old forum than the new.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I had several Luvax shocks overhauled by Stevson motors in Birmingham. He advised strongly against hydraulic fork oils and said it should be a 90 grade, quite a thick oil.
He supplied me a litre bottle for topping up purposes but so far I've not needed it.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

I'll be a happy man if it is 90 grade as less likely to leak!

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I'm not at home right now so can't access all my files, but I have researched this in the past, Broadly speaking, if the shocks are the round body ones, thick oil is required, the same stuff used in the rear axle (SAE140 I think). If the shocks are the long cylindrical type, thin oil required. Penrite do a No 1 and No 2 shock oil which are both of the thin type. Whichever you use, they will likely leak like sieves...

Re Hobson telegauge, I've never had one but they are discussed a lot on the RREC forum. Apparently they are very unreliable, hard to set up, and the fluid is highly toxic. It is obtainable though:

https://www.fiennes.co.uk/Parts/Catalogue/L/LG/LGR030

Perhaps a discreet modern gauge might be a better bet?

Edited to add this, which might be the answer?

https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums ... C_ID=15597

Mark