Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

guttering on Consort

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

guttering on Consort

Post by Brian-H »

Does anyone know how the guttering is screwed in ? (if you need photos of what I'm talking about, let me know)

The screws are upwards into what seems to be a metal beam (aluminium ?) running along the inside of the roof. Is this the case ?

Also, how is the centre (B) pillar secured at the top ?

Finally, there's a wooden frame holding the headlining at the sides (or so it seems) , has anyone ever removed one of these headlining frames before ?

mickeytwonames

Re: guttering on Consort

Post by mickeytwonames »

I'm not sure but I need to replace mine so I'm watching with interest
Michael

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

mickeytwonames wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:06 am I'm not sure but I need to replace mine so I'm watching with interest
Michael
I thought I'd be the only one :o
When the weather's a bit warmer, I'll take out the headining , take some pics of whatever is there, and let you know.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Brian,
Have a look at this YouTube video and see if it help.

Cheers
Peter Grant

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Peter Grant wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:39 am Brian,
Have a look at this YouTube video and see if it help.

Cheers
Peter Grant
That is an incredibly helpful video, many many thanks for letting me know.

The chap making the video is Denis Leys - in Australia as well as you Peter - have you met him or been in contact ?

That video was part 34, Aug 2018, He's up to part 50 as of Feb 2020, I found part 1 which was Sep 2015 so he's been working on the restoration for over 4 years .

In part 1 he says that the centre (B) pillar is also screwed into the wood

i.e. it seems there is a wooden beam running along and inside the roof on each side, into which the guttering and the B pillars are screwed. I presume that the headllining also screws into that wood (I don't think he ever removes the headlining, but in part 2 he took the body off the chassis).

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

I have some recollection of removing the wooden frame from inside a Consort, but it was in the 1980's..

The roof gutters are a weak point as the gutter is separate from the roof panel, and the water gets into the joint. The gutter is held in place by a series of self-tapers
fastened into wooden beams that run along the edge of the roof. (the water gets in, the wood rots etc)

The side beams are part of a roof structure which has pieces going across the roof, I guess for stability etc and onto which the roof-lining is held. I suspect that replacing the side-beams will be essential, but I'm not sure if the y can be detached from the total frame, or if the frame is best removed and replaced in one lump.

Not a quick job I'm afraid, but you are not the first,,,

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Thanks for that. Yes it's starting to look a bit daunting, my capabilities with wood stretch to putting up a wooden car port, shelves on the wall in the garage, and assembling IKEA furniture, none of which requires any detailed wood work skills.

I suspect that the entire wood in the roof needs replacing, so I'm going to have to find somewhere that can do it. Any recommendations ?

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Brian,
i personally have not had any contact with him but his videos have featured as a download with our Club magazine when it arrives each month.
the videos have been of great interest, I hope they are useful for your restoration.
Cheers
Peter

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I'm sending you a PM Peter.

btw if it's just the guttering that needs renewing and the roof shape is ok (suggesting wood is ok) then probably best to drill the heads off the screws, although it might be very difficult to get the threads out of the wood afterwards. Using an impact driver is probably out of the question. In the case of my car, I think that the wood has had moisture/water in it and so it's expanded/misshapen. meaning the wood has to come out. As I say, that's well beyond my capabilities (electrical/electronics/IT is my expertise).