Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Stainless steel exhaust

mickeytwonames

Stainless steel exhaust

Post by mickeytwonames »

I've had a quote for a new exhaust system in stainless steel £600.
Does anyone know how much louder they are than the old steel ones.
I had a SS one fitted on my old Morris Minor and people could hear me coming a mile (1.6 Klicks) off

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Stainless steel exhaust

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

It depends to some extent on what car it's being fitted to and whether it's to original pattern or not - what car do you have in mind?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

I had a new one bespoke made for my LQ2/20 in 2018. It cost £800 but they did a superb job. I know the LQ engine isn't any performer and was intended to run quietly & smoothly but even so there was no increase in noise.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,
Not that cost is an issue as it was so long ago but I had a stainless steel exhaust fitted to my Special Sports in probably 1991 and it took maybe a year of regular use for it to quieten and it has been wonderful.
I would recommend it to anyone who needs to replace the exhaust on their car and intends to hold the car for a long time. A great investment.
Peter Grant

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Just to add to the stainless steel exhaust thread, I contacted Double S exhausts in Cullompton Devon (an excellent company from previous experience) and they quoted £800 for a complete system on my V8 saloon with a 4x week turn around. They do make quality items and as such the price is reflective of that.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

How noisy a stainless steel exhaust system is depends not just on the amount of baffling etc. in the silencer - but the thickness of the material used - so ask that of your intended supplier - for which I believe there are laid down specs.

One other important factor often overlooked is that when assembled in situ, there must be no strain whatsoever on the component parts (like having to lever a part into place to make it fit). This is because such is the nature of stainless steel that it will will set up a resonance if here is some inherent out-of-alignment force due to poor manufacture or fitting.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Richard: Great to hear that 'Double S' is still going..... I bought one of their systems for my XJ6 back in 1981!

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Stan: Fully concur with your advice re stressing stainless steel exhausts. Also worth mentioning that stainless is more brittle than mild steel and is more likely to fracture if the system is subject to undue strain when in situ.
All said I am very happy with the stainless system I had made for my LQ. A nice 'fit & forget' improvement.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I recently had a full stainless exhaust system for my '71 Corvette fabricated and fitted by Infinity Exhausts.
P1320133.JPG
Infinity fabricate and fit the system while you wait (in my case, five hours). They use thick wall (2mm) tubing and specifically ask what noise level you want and select the silencer to fit. In my case I wanted the system to be a direct replacement for the tired original, but they will tailor the size and routing to your own requirements. They were very careful to ensure the system was unstressed after fitting and to ensure originality of appearance they removed the original (stainless) rectangular tips from the old system and welded them to the new.
P1320136.JPG
Being a V8 the exhaust is dual - but not identical or handed - pipes running from the headers, through a chassis member to the silencer. Clearance through the chassis is quite tight (not unlike the SP250) so any misalignment could easily result in a rattle.
P1320134.JPG
At £600 all in I have to say I'm very pleased with the result and would recommend Infinity without reserve to anyone wanting a bespoke stainless system.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello,

Jed - they certainly are still going strong and I believe that rests solely with the quality of the product and their craftmanship, all of which is spot on from my experience; in addition to your 1981 testament - that really is impressive.

Nick- that's a stunning car and the exhaust looks superb; have to say I was surprised when you quoted £600 - I thought it would be closer to £1K. Just goes to show you can still have quality at an affordable price !!

How good to hear such companies still going well plus providing a quality service; pity there is not more of this in other areas concerning classic vehicle parts etc.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024