Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Restoration write up

Dartford Dave

DB18 Restoration write up

Post by Dartford Dave »

I have come across this restoration of a DB18 in India. Looks like they are doing a great job with lots of good photos.

You live and learn, I have found out from reading this that the two front windows have slight curves to them, while I thought they were flat. I have stripped , rebuilt and replaced my driver's door window mechanism numerous times to make it open and close smoothly to no avail. I am now wondering if in the past the glass has been replaced by a flat piece or one from the passenger side which could explain why I can't get it operating smoothly.

Anyway it's a good read with lots of great photos.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war ... on-12.html

Dartford Dave

Re: DB18 Restoration write up

Post by Dartford Dave »

Please note this link opens at page 12 of 13 of the blog so make sure you see all the pages. It shows full gearbox strip down, all bodyworking and engine rebuild.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The gentleman is a member of the DLOC and Db18.org.
I have window glass if you need it.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Interestingly there is an advert for the DB18 with P100s.
I am vindicated!
DB18 with P100s.jpg
Northwich, Cheshire

Dartford Dave

Post by Dartford Dave »

And two pass lights !

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

‘Ere! Dave my san! This brochure is for the export DB18. As far as I know these cars were supplied with double filament bulbs and were operated in the usual way with high and dip beams. The two pass lights were wired in a separate circuit and although identical to home market cars they were actually spot lights. With headlights and spot lights both switched on it must have placed a hell of a demand on the dynamo unless with headlights switched on the spotlights’ circuit remained open until the headlights were switched off. (I doubt that was the case.) There were other differences with export cars too - mine (Australia) has a huge oil-bath type air filter and a 6-blade cooling fan, the latter being for obvious reasons. There may be other differences that I’m not familiar with.
Steve

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Well I never knew exportcars had different lights.
Northwich, Cheshire

Dartford Dave

Post by Dartford Dave »

Many thanks Steve for explaining the modifications fitted to export vehicles. It raises the question though that if Daimler fitted double filament dip/main beam headlights to export cars then why didn't they do the same for UK models. It would have saved the requirement of fitting the pass light.

As you point out Steve the load on the dynamo powering the headlights and the spotlights at the same time would have tested it to its limits.

Graham - I may take you up on that window you have, I will take mine out (yet again) and check it for shape and be in touch accordingly.

I found the whole blog about the restoration a very good read from the history of the car to all the high quality pictures which makes it a good reference source.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

They are in the cowshed Dave, which is a few miles away. When we are out of lockdown I'll be visiting my daughter in east London so I can drop them with you then. Mind you, I'd better check if they are curved first!
Northwich, Cheshire

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The writer is Kuppanda Subbaiah from Bangalore and he's had several pieces in the Driving Member showing various Maharajah's cars. DB18 and Consorts were popular with their wives apparently. I love how descriptive he is, almost like he is writing a novel.
Lovely man, he keeps telling me to ship mine over for a refurb. by his team. Probably the only way you'd ever get a return on investment on a DB18. Just imagine the adventure of driving it back from Bangalore!
Northwich, Cheshire