Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LQ3-20 ISSUES

Soundmike

LQ3-20 ISSUES

Post by Soundmike »

Greetings all from a "Locked down" New Zealand. I am fortunate to have a rather large project to keep me busy! The problems associated with a long time idle project such as this is the unknown previous history of "repairs" carried out! (Hasn't turned a wheel since 1970). I had noticed that the wheel nuts on the front and rear had opposite rotation! On checking the manual, the "NEAR" side (why on earth couldn't they call it the LEFT side), should be LEFT hand thread and the OFFSIDE (right hand) have right hand threads. Front hubs comply, rear ones transposed. Ok, just change the hubs! Problem, the splines are slightly different!!!!! A slight difference between the space width:tooth width ratio.... Right HS fits but has lots of lost motion, Left HS won't fit. Ok, so change the half shafts, parts book says they are the same??? Next problem, removing the hub bearing nut. The book says the are NS and OS. Some one has been here before, there is some rather brutal evidence to show for it. Question, do they have RH and LH threads, it might explain why I cannot get one off! The seals also need replacing so they have to come off. I have made a tool to fit over the nut but to date has just bent the lever attached - very tight.....
Next issue is removing the front hubs, the bearings sound good but the grease looks like it's 85 years old! Feels like the need a rather big puller.
The 3rd issue is the rear spring hangers on the back of the chassis. It looks like there is no provision to grease these, the result is rather a mess. I could either substitute custom made bushes to fit or have pins rebuilt and refit new ball bearings. Ok for the spring end but the pin in the chassis feels like it might be there for the duration. Is it just pressed in, or is there something that locks it into the casting. It doesn't look like it would take kindly to a big hammer. (a bit difficult to put in the press...)
All suggestions welcome

JedFurneaux

Re: LQ3-20 ISSUES

Post by JedFurneaux »

Hi, you may recall that I am rebuilding the front suspension on my '34 LQ2. I can't say for certain but I suspect the swinging shackle assemblies are much the same for front and rear. The ball races and pins on mine were in a dreadful state and they are now with an Engineer who is going to make new pins and fit modern sealed ball races into the shackle cheeks. We agreed that that is the best way to go. Out of interest for the fixed spring hanger (rearmost on front springs, foremost on rear springs) he suggested replacing the worn out bronze sleeve bushes with modern ones that need no lubrication (in fact they work happily in water!) so we will do that too. The fixed shackle bolts on mine slid out quite easily but if I read you correctly I think your issue is with the pins fixed in the very rear of the chassis that mount the swinging shackle? I'm not sure about the rears but the front pins were secured in place by a brass grub screw that is flush with the surrounding metal and is not easy to see (same grub screws as used in the ends of the springs themselves). If this isn't removed then no amount of hammering will get the pin out! Having removed these screws I still had one helluva job to drift the pins out but as they were going to be discarded I could afford to beat the hell out of them. Penetrating oil at each end and through the grub screw hole plus heavy blows on the innermost pin ends with a huge hammer did the trick but it took a little time. Note that the pins on the swinging shackles are not bushed as they are not supposed to rotate hence why they are such a tight fit with no lubrication points; rotational force is accommodated by the ball bearings. The pins on the fixed shackles naturally have to move with spring flexing so they are bushed and have lube nipples.

Sorry I can't help with the rear hub issue as I have never touched these (yet!)
Best wishes, Jeremy.
Last edited by JedFurneaux on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Are you sure you have got it the correct way round ? The handed threads are such that they should not be self-slackening. The the left hand wheels which rotate anti-clockwise as you look at them should have right hand threads , and vice versa

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Having re read your post and checked my spare parts book I think the hub bearing nuts probably are R/H & L/H threaded as they have separate part numbers.

Chris Storey; If I understand it correctly it looks like a previous owner has transposed the hubs on the rear axle causing the anomaly. My own experience with my LQ (and countless years spent with old motorbikes) is that there are a great many people out there blessed with extraordinary mechanical ineptitude and the older the vehicle the greater the likelihood of havoc caused! When I took the front springs off mine I noticed when checking the part numbers that they had been refitted at some time wrong-sided. Also Chris the nearside nuts should have the L/H threads!

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

Thanks Jeremy. The front spring front bushes have been "refurbished" with brass bushes and flat steel plates which are U/S and need replacing! The fixed bushes front & rear are ok. I suspect the grub screws at the back (I think they are underneath) will need to be drilled out and new pins made for bronze bushes or suitable sealed bearings. Will have to have a closer inspection...... Also one of the "shimmy damper" springs, rear mounting of the RH front spring is broken. Will have to get a new pair made. Does that thing actually work??

Christopher, I also thought it unusual, but page 47 of the owners book says:"The wheel holding studs front and back have a left hand thread on the nearside and right hand thread on the offside......... Hmmm. Perhaps it was for LH drive??? Why couldn't they have said 'left and right" or "port and starboard" then we would all know what they meant!

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

The threads of the left side’s hub nuts (=nearside or passenger side) are left handed and those of the driver’s side are right handed; this is still common practice on heavy vehicles. The rear hubs: the left side’s hub retaining nut is almost certainly left handed, the driver’s side being right handed.
Steve

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I think there is some confusion arising here. When I made my post I was referring to the wire wheel caps . These are certainly RH thread for left hand wheels ( left looking in the direction of travel ) and vice versa.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hello, I had my Lanchester 15/18 Hub bearing nuts off 3 years ago. It was a pig of a job. Looking at the Parts Catalogues, the Daimler 2-20 and L 15/18 use the same parts, however, the Daimler 3-20 has different part numbers (not to say they are necessarily different). Anyway, I confirm they are left and right handed threads. They have a locking screw and the nut has to be positioned so that the threads for the locking screw precisely align. I made a note that I borrowed an adjustable hook spanner (SKF HNA 14-24) to get the nuts off and on. If you have made a bespoke tool, i'm sure that is even better. I replaced the felt oil seal with 2 Lipseals. Both 45 60 7.
All the best, Ranald

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Here's the wheel nuts from my ELS24. No chance of getting it wrong.

Mark
Attachments
003.JPG
002.JPG

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

After much straining and effort, the bearing retainers are off. Dismantled the diff "OH BU---ER! The wheel & worm is VERY sad. Would anyone happen to have a spare??