Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Consort gearbox removal

GrahamH

Re: DB18 Consort gearbox removal

Post by GrahamH »

Update on this - I removed the floor panel today and checked the filler plugs, they were ok so I checked the bolts on the driven member, they were all slack so I tightened by hand (carefully) and test drove about 3 miles and it’s now bone dry😀😀😀😀😀🤗🤗🤗. I’m not counting my chickens yet so will check gain in the morning but I’m hopeful that it’s now ok, just need to get the radiator looked at now as she’s running very hot after the winter layup so I’m guessing it’s furred up😱
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Well that's a relief, but, it is worrying that they were loose i.e. how long have they been coming loose and why ?

Regarding the terminologies of what the parts are called, the hi-res pages in the 6th post on the 1st page of this thread are a bit confusing (unless it's just me) https://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=31049#p31049

From what I remember, the "driven member" is the part inside the oil chamber, into which the gearbox shaft goes, and can only be observed/accessed when the oil chamber has been opened up.
It's the "driving member" which is the part that has the filler plugs, and also the set screws (bolts) that "seal" the oil chamber.

But, there's also a "front casing" and a "rear casing" mentioned in those hi-res pages, as well as "flywheel". It seems that "rear casing" and "driving member" may be one and the same ?

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

FWIW each of the bolts securing the driving member to the flywheel proper must have a shake proof washer or a spring washer fitted. If they were all loose then there are 2 explanations: 1) there was no washer fitted when the driven member was fitted to the flywheel thus allowing them to work loose, or B) a washer was fitted, but final tightening was overlooked the last time the driving member was fitted to the flywheel - they just don’t work loose otherwise! Going off topic slightly, Daimler, back in the day liked to fit shake proof washers to their gearboxes (they’re those star shaped affairs). They work well, but personally I don’t like them at all because they score the aluminium contact face pretty badly when undoing them. I prefer to use the more common method of a flat washer backed up with a spring washer as long as depth isn’t compromised. Just sayin!
Steve

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

It is a mystery, I can only think that either they weren’t tightened properly if and when the flywheel was apart previously or that the gasket has ‘shrunk’ slightly over the years, the bolts were all slack by about the same amount. Anyway a good learning process for me doing the whole job and thanks again to all you guys that helped to point me in the right direction (and who, if I had listened the first time were right and the job would have been easier😱)
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

...... when the driven member was fitted to the flywheel
...... the last time the driving member was fitted to the flywheel
Maybe the magazine title could alternate each month (or yearly) LOL

Apologies - I just couldn't resist

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

OK, Brian, point taken; well done for spotting my deliberate mistake! Seeing the driving and driven members must be fitted as an assembly I gave both an honourable mention to avoid jealousy. That’s my excuse and I’m going to stick to it
Steve

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I just wonder how many people appreciate the significance of the magazine title ;)

It's only people like the Queen who've ever been consistently a Driven Member.