Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Consort gearbox removal

qantasqf1

Re: DB18 Consort gearbox removal

Post by qantasqf1 »

I’m sure that’s true as far as the Conquest is concerned, but the DB18 chassis doesn’t allow the gearbox to be either removed in a fully assembled condition or even moved rearwards far enough to access the seal. In short, the gearbox must be removed.
Steve

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Hi all

Well after replacing all the suspension joints today, the chap that assisted me said 'while we have the car in the air shall we take the gearbox out and change the seal?' Yes I replied how hard can it be!!!!!!! Hmm very is the answer :(
we gave up at 5pm and will go again tomorrow, getting it all undone was ok, I just cant see how to move the box back enough to gain access to the seal (don't really need to actually remove the gearbox, jus move it enough to gain access) however it hits the chassis on both sides, and im not sure that removing the rear flange and sundries will help as its not this that is the issue, anyone got any kind words to inspire me while I open another beer :-)

Cheers

Graham
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

You may be the first person to replace the seal without removing the gearbox, but I'd think you'll need very long and very strong fingers to do it, possibly a bit like painting the inside of a front door through the letter box :lol:
Another analogy might be birthing a cow with the mother's rear end up against a fence :oops:

I think the gearbox tilts down at the back as you slide it backwards and downwards, but you'd have to follow the instructions given by Steve to get sufficient movement to start it tilting downwards.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Please Graham, trust me! The gearbox will come out as I described earlier. I’ve done it myself!
Steve

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Thanks Steve, I’m going to go over tomorrow and get it out, Do I have to worry about any parts falling out of the box as I move the shaft out? thanks for the advice I’ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers. Graham

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Graham, there are 2 bushing (different sizes) fitted between the output and input drive shafts which can dislodge on output shaft removal, otherwise nothing to worry about on that count. The bushes easily retrieved once the box is out. If you slacken the 1st and rev. band adjusters (advisable) refit the lid temporarily to keep out muck. After the 6 gearbox bolts have been removed I moved the gearbox backwards just enough to clear the 2 dowels. This allows the gearbox to be bodily rotated anticlockwise slightly to allow the speed drive assembly to be removed. I don’t know whether this step was necessary, but I did it anyway. If you are going to remove the FF there are 6 jackscrew holes to separate the driving member from the flywheel proper. I KNOW you’ll use them!!! There’s a thin paper gasket that fits between the flywheel proper and driving member which isn’t illustrated in the parts book although it has an assigned part number. I made one from brown paper, but I don’t know whether a gasket is necessary because the snap fit between the two I would have thought is seal enough. Finally, 2 or 3 guide pins screwed into the flywheel are very useful when realigning the FF to the flywheel on assembly.
Good luck, Graham. Although it sounds complicated it’s all pretty straightforward.
Steve

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

So all done and back in the car now, thank you all so much for the advice especially Steve for telling me to listen and do it properly 👍🏻
Not a bad job and with hindsight now I think we could do the job in a day, the seal was really easy to change once the box was out, the biggest issue was the limited space to get the box out, I think the mechanics in 1951 were a different shape to us now cos I didn’t fit in some of the position needed to undo some of the bolts😱 (or maybe I’m just not as young as I thought I was)
Just waiting for the oil to arrive now then we’ll see if it still leaks🤔🤔
I’m going to do a few tidying jobs inside Weil it’s all in bits
What we did was remove the drivers door
Remove the floor boards around the gearbox
Remove seats
Prop shaft off, Linkages and speedo cable and drive out
Jack under the gearbox
6 bolts to the bell housing
Rear mounting
6 bolts around the rear flange and remove the flange and bearing (didn’t need to undo anything inside the box, it all came out easily)
Bobs your uncle👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

If anyone is going to tackle this then I’m happy to advise where I can🤔

Cheers all

Graham

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Sounds like a suitable article for the Driving Member Graham! A bit of text and some photos, the job is done.

Do you still want that steering box? I have it here.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Sounds like a plan Graham, I’ll see what I can come up with, I didn’t take any photos unfortunately (it was VERY dirty in there) I still have the interior to put back so I’ll take a couple and write something up👍🏻

I have shimmed my steering box now (again in the car) And I also found that 4 of the ball joints were gone, I’ve replaced these (which led to the ‘let’s take the gearbox out’ saga) but I think I’ll have yours as well as I can check or rebuild at my leisure and then fit it at a later date, we’ll arrange something when things are back to normal.

Thanks again to everyone who helped to point me in the right direction

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Graham, a fine effort! Unless you want to you don’t need to write up an article about this because one already exists - Google db18.org and open the Technical Articles link. However, if you go ahead you’re welcome to use any text in the article you see fit.
Steve