Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 spare wheel compartment

thomas@prags.co.uk

DB18 spare wheel compartment

Post by thomas@prags.co.uk »

I really have no excuse not to try and solve this wee problem that many other DB18 (Barker 4str conv) owners will have dealt with. The spare wheel with a 'modern' Avon touris radial tyre on it no longer fits into the compartment designed for it. I presume this is because the profile of the tyre is a bit fatter. I have considered simply (! these things are never that simple for someone who is not good at mechanical or carpentry) removing the boot floor and putting in a spacer to lift it half an inch. Anyone tried this or found another solution? the lining material will probably end up in shreds so I'll need to replace that too ...
thomas

John-B
Site Admin

Re: DB18 spare wheel compartment

Post by John-B »

Spare wheels don't have to be the same as the road wheels, so the cheapest and least difficult option would be to buy a new thinner tyre!
I think I read somewhere that someone had built a plywood boxing to sit over the raised tyre edge which wouldn't alter the car structure although the carpet would have to be altered. This assumes that the tyre diameter fits the space but only the width is a problem. I had this problem with my Dart in 1970 when I got bigger tyres and the spare was a larger diameter and larger width, so it just sat there awkwardly. My spare at the moment is a Dunlop 165 while the road tyres are 185 and the Dunlop has a diameter and width to fit the recess.

I think altering a classic car for unessential reasons should be avoided, but that's just a personal comment.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

I leave my spare almost flat and it fits. I carry a 12 volt tyre compressor should i need to pump it up. As it has an inner tube there is no rim to seal.

thomas@prags.co.uk

not a bad thought! I got a 12 v compressor for the constantly leaking alloys on a more modern car. cheap and effective. worth a try.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,
I think you will find that the DB18 Special Sports has exactly the same problem.
During the lifecycle of one set of tyres i had bought a plastic cover for the tyre and kept the whole spare wheel in the boot, and bought a large flat plastic box with wheels (under bed storage box) for the all the bits and pieces and kept that in the spare wheel well.
When I went to a set of 6 x 16 Coker Vintage Radials the problems was solved as the new tyre profile allows easy storage of the spare wheel back where it should sit, and the flat plastic box? It fits beautifully in the boot with a good deal of its length tucked in under the drophead storage well that intrudes into the boot space.
Peter Grant

thomas@prags.co.uk

It lives in the boot just now, but Im trying to get my boot back for the shopping and picnics!

but sounds like a smart idea with the box.

Where in Sydney? I'll be out again next year (if flights allow) to visit my son and family in Balmain.

t

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Thomas,
You would be most welcome. I live in the Eastern Suburbs near good old Bondi Beach so not far at all.
As coincidence would have it (I am a solicitor) I am just helping clients sell a beautiful bungalow they own in Balmain: great suburb of Sydney!!!
Give me some notice and we will organise some club members to welcome you.
Best wishes
Peter Grant

thomas@prags.co.uk

not till early next year - depends on all sorts of things like Oz school hols, flights and so on.

fingers crossed. this morning I will try the deflated tyre trick...

t

Hamish Dickie

Post by Hamish Dickie »

Hi Thomas,
I removed the rear bumper on my Special Sports & slotted the mounting bracket fixing holes to drop the bumper by almost 15mm. This allows a fully inflated 600x16 Avon to just slide in. Hope that works for your Barker 4 seater.
cheers
Hamish