Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Time for service

BigJAK

Time for service

Post by BigJAK »

So I must confess my 1956 Conquest Century is not used as much as it should, I am thinking of some tlc.
I want to change the oil, check the fluid flywheel level and possibly refresh the fuel pump.
What do I need to change the oil and where should I buy it from? Filter, sump plug washer, etc.
Is there sealing washers on the flywheel plugs? What do I need to stop the plug falling into housing?
I have seen the kits on eBay to refresh the fuel pump (fuel drains back and is hard to prime) is this the best?
Thanks

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Time for service

Post by Stan Thomas »

Oil change is simple - use a "classic" 20w40 oil. Don't use a high detergent oil without checking if there is a lot of sludge in the engine which it will disolve and cause bearing damage. You will need to change the filter element as well of course - and the condition of the old one will give a good indication as to the state of the engine internally and/or if the car has been regulatly serviced before.

Use only engine oil in the fluid flywheel.

You can buy a service kit for the petrol pump - very easy to install - but remember to refit the top cover loosely with its six screws and operate the full stoke of the lever before tightening them to ensure the full deflection of the diaphragm.

BigJAK

Post by BigJAK »

Thanks

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

I would expect either David Beales or John Nash to offer oil change kits ( filter, sealing ring & sump plug washer) in their EBay shops. Classic Oils at Bicester have a wide range of oils for classics and an excellent delivery service. When checking the FF level, I found that using a finger to hold the plug onto the Allen key as it was extracted avoided dropping it into the housing. I don't recall any sealing washer with the FF plug washer., I think it was an interference fit.
Chris