Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

spare tyre

thomas@prags.co.uk

spare tyre

Post by thomas@prags.co.uk »

1950 DB18 Barker 4 str tourer. I part solved the spare wheel compartment problem by deflating the tyre (as advised) - so it fits nicely. BUT the Avon tourist tyre clearly has a tread area profile that catches on the inside edge of the boot lid as it opens and closes. Someone suggested that a different type of tyre would be OK as a 'get you home spare' - any suggestions as to what might fit?

(To reinflate the tyre with a 12 volt compressor I need to reconnect my cigar lighter socket - which I actually used for cigars once upon a time!)

thomas

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: spare tyre

Post by Chris_R »

I would imagine the originally specified tyre size would fit, but probably with not much spare space.
What was the originally specified tyre size and what is the size of the Avon Tourist tyre you are using?

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

If you go onto a tyre supplier's website and key in your tyre size, it will come up with the range of makes they have available.

Then you can click on each individual manufacturer's technical data which among other things, will give you the diameter of their product.

Overall tyre diameters do vary from one make to another - my car has 500/550/600 x20 Dunlops (rather skinny for a 600 profile tyre) - but I've found a "same-size" make with much better profile and greater overall diameter.

thomas@prags.co.uk

stan
thanks - I get the logic - I did wonder if I might just ring langstone (who supplied the last set) and ask them for suggestions - it can even be a part worn tyre so long as it hasn't perished! I'll get it out of the compartment when its cooler - it has been like midsummer up here for weeks.
thomas

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Thomas,
Here a number of Special Sports owners have used Coker Vintage radial 600 x 16 inch tyres and they will not only fit in that model's spare wheel compartment but transforms the road handling of the car.
Maybe someone has a used tyre like that you could use as a get me home spare, otherwise buy a new one, they are good for ten years at least.
Otherwise there is a cross play Excelsior brand 600 x 16 inch: not the same road holding but again as a get me home tyre that might work if compatible with the tyres you are running now.
Cheers
Peter Grant

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Also look at Blockley Tyres. He does a 5.50 x 16 and a 6.00 x 16 (his own brand and manufacture). www.blockleytyre.com

thomas@prags.co.uk

Many thanks Peter - that's really helpful.
t

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Go to Northants Tyres website - https://www.northhantstyres.com/

They give all the actual dimensions of the tyres they stock. I have found it very useful it determining which modern tyres are equivalent to those originally fitted, and like you which ones will fit the spare wheel carrier/space.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252