Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Leaking Clutch

Garyhbates

Conquest Leaking Clutch

Post by Garyhbates »

Following a complete strip down and rebuild my Conquest is losing oil from the Centrifugal clutch. I did split the two halves of the clutch to check out all was ok. Is there a torque setting for the driven member bolts ? You can still access them through the floor if the cover plate is lifted. I wonder if i did not tighten them up enough ? Since it is all aluminium i don't want to go to far and strip the thread.
Other possibilities are that the oil filler plugs are leaking. Ive tried both a fibre washer and a copper O washer at different times but it still leaks. The manual talks of a "Copper and Asbestos washer" . i would imagine such an item is now not available ?
Should there have been a continuous fibre washer fitted between the faces of the halves of the clutch ? mine was ripped in a few places but fairly continuous.
Final possibility (which i can not face) is the Oil seal which i foolishly did not change when i had the chance to do so.
Just want to check these other possibilities before i face the gearbox removal.

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: Conquest Leaking Clutch

Post by Brian-H »

It's almost always the oil seal between the shaft of the driven member and the hole in the driving member.

I wouldn't try to tighten "in situ" the bolts holding the driving member to the flywheel. Best idea is to take out the gearbox and remove the driving member from the flywheel and re-do the oil seal on a bench. Then clean the faces of the driving member and flywheel, and make a new gasket. Also a good idea to put some sort of jointing compound on the gasket between the flywheel and driving member.

Have a read of this recent thread https://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5312

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

I recently changed the oil seal on my Consort, it’s not a bad job (in hindsight) if you know how to go about it, I did however still have a leak although not so bad as before so today I though I would take the floor out again and check the ring of bolts around the flywheel, they were all slack, I tightened them all up and all now seems to be ok, just be aware not to over tighten🤔
Not sure if the removal process is the same on both models but I’m happy to talk you through mine as I only completed it a couple of weeks ago👍🏻
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

According to "qantasqf1" (aka Steve) the only major difference would be that the gearbox is easier to remove on the Conquest than on the DB18/Consort https://forum.dloc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=31054#p31054

Otherwise, the "oil chamber" should be the same assembly .

Garyhbates

Post by Garyhbates »

thanks for the feedback. it has confirmed my suspicion about the seal. i will order one up and plan the work.

I did read that string about the Consort but was not sure about how similar the clutch and gearbox is. I stumbled across the same instructions today in the Conquest manual so now a bit happier not to have to remove the engine as i have only just sprayed and fitted the front wings. removing the clutch from inside sounds much lighter work. i remember loading the block and gearbox in place last time. its a heavy lump.

GrahamH

Post by GrahamH »

Yes the gearbox on it’s own weighs as much as a small church, I made up a wooden frame between 2 trolly jacks and lowered it down on these, not a bad job though and the seal is quite easy to get at once the box is out of the way, I used a hooked spike to pull it out and tapped in in with a socket.
It sounds like your gearbox might even be a bit easier to remove👍🏻
1951 Daimler DB18 Consort

Garyhbates

Post by Garyhbates »

I can report that the gearbox was removed without removing the engine and i did get to the oil seal and replaced it . There is now no oil leak !
The gearbox must be drawn down and backwards after removing the propshaft. There looks like there is enough room to draw it straight backwards but the gearbox fouls the crucifix in the chassis. Getting the gearbox back in was also a challenge and like Graham i balanced it on two jacks to align the driveshaft . Took a few attempts until the splines lined up.