Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler LQ 3-20 AC Fuel Pump

Beat Weibel

Daimler LQ 3-20 AC Fuel Pump

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hello experts
I would like to refurbish the AC fuel pump of my LQ 3-20 (LQ 3-24). Since it is a late model with the 3,3 litre engine, the fuel pump might be the same as for EL 24 etc.
Two pictures are attached. Does anybody know which refurbishment kit I need? Is the one offered by David Beales for DB18 and later models the correct one?
To me, my pump rather looks like the ones fitted for American Buicks and Chevrolets in the 30ies. Comparing with the spare parts catalogue, it looks however original.
Any advice is very welcome.
Best regards
Beat
20200531_152553.jpg
20200531_152547.jpg

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Daimler LQ 3-20 AC Fuel Pump

Post by grahamemmett »

Beat, the DB18 uses a Type T or Type U fuel pump and they are very different to this older model. You should be able to see the Type cast into the rim of the pump body then you’ll have a chance of finding the right kit.
I was recently recommended to a trader in Manchester who was able to supply some rare parts so once we know the model I can enquire of him.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

As Graham says the one you have is an older pump identical to the one fitted to my 1934 LQ2/20 before I removed it in favour of an electric system. The number on top of the float bowl is 856518.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Hi Beat,

I bought one from beales - I just asked them for the right one for an EL24. Have to say though I have not actually fitted it - my car has an electric SU pump which is much better. I just wanted a rebuild kit in case I needed it...

Mark

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

In the meantime, I figured out that it must be a "Model B" with a screw on diaphram. Gasket sets and diaphrams are available on ebay in US at Maxparts Antique Classic Car Parts.

I will order a set and then refurbish the pump. Temporarily, I cut a gasket to tighten the diaphram which looks original "AC".

Best regards and thanks for all replies.
Beat

Model B:
Model B.GIF
Model B.GIF (21.73 KiB) Viewed 761 times
That's what the old diaphram looks like:
20200611_093110.jpg
Gasket Set:
Model B Gasket Set.GIF
Model B Gasket Set.GIF (28.79 KiB) Viewed 761 times

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Beat, Glad you are sorted. The Lanchester 15/18 also uses the AC MODEL B pump although the actuating arm may be different. The arm no. for mine is 856669. While you have your’s apart would you mind coming back with the arm number for future reference. I bought parts from another American supplier back in 2012 ;Then and Now Automobile, Weymouth, MA. Kind regards
Ranald
By the way, the Month and date of manufacture should be stamped on the pump.