Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

securing an age related plate for my A prefix DB 18

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: securing an age related plate for my A prefix DB 18

Post by grahamemmett »

I recall talking to the previous owner and I’m sure he said the car was imported and the incorrect number allocated at that time.
Glad to see you’ve fettled it as it was in rather poor shape. Good for another 70 years.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Take it this is listed for sale it is a scam
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-DB18 ... SwafNe5RAj

Now reported to Ebay

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

IIRC,
There was a period in the late 70's early 80's prior to computerisation of the DVLA records when a batch of "A" suffixes were issued as replacement numbers for ones taken off by "registration robbers" who bought cars for their registration numbers then sold them on. I think the same applied to imported cars. In their day they were seen as a sort of early version of the modern "Q" plate, and the fact that the registration was too "new" for the car was an alert to the fact there was something on the vehicle's history. When the system was computerised in '84(?) these "A"registrations were just absorbed into history.
So the DVLA may have a note of the previous registration, but it's probably unlikely. The old system of applying for a list of previous keepers by sending a request and a fiver usually got you photocopies of any info they had on file, but you can't do that now because of data protection laws............

John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Norfolk Lad wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:02 pm Take it this is listed for sale it is a scam
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-DB18 ... SwafNe5RAj

Now reported to Ebay
Yes a scam, incredible how they persist
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

yes, a scam. This pratt has advertised my car several times. I will happily shake him by the throat if I ever meet him!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

That scammer had 3 Daimlers and loads of other vehicles listed for sale.

Before ebay took it all down, someone I know on another car forum contacted the scammer (using a hotmail email), saying he was interested in buying one of the cars listed by the scammer. The scammer replied and said that he'd moved to Milan and taken the car as well, but it could be shipped back to England for a test drive. So he told the scammer that he had a brother who played for Atalanta (Bergamo team) who could pop over and take a look at the car in Milan. Needless to say, the scammer never replied LOL

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

eBay ads are frequently reported as scams on this forum. As I never use eBay, please explain in detail how these scams work and what's the point of an ad if the item doesn't exist?

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

I've used ebay for years, but only to buy small things that you can't get elsewhere (other than Amazon). Having said that, even when sellers are genuine, some can be a pain in the neck to deal with if something isn't right, it can be like walking on egg-shells, even though distance-selling laws are on the buyer's side (and ebay's "buttons" are a nightmare to navigate to find the criteria that applies). On the other hand, some sellers find buyers to be far worse.

Anyway, I think that this scammer had hijacked someone else's account, because I had a look at the history and the account had been around a long time and had a good history up to around March.

What this cammer had done, was listed loads of cars and equipment that he clearly didn't have. Ebay does not allow sellers to put phone numbers and email addresses in the advert, but what some genuine sellers do is put a picture with phone number and/or email address, so ebay's "engine" cannot see it. This scammer had used that technique.

What the scammer intended (presumably) was to ask for a portion of the money upfront, probably by cash via Western Union, to pay for the car to be shipped back from (in this case) Milan. I can't think of any other way to get a portion of cash out of someone who is otherwise prepared to drive and take a look at the car for sale, somewhat clever, not very, but I guess the scammer might hook in somebody and get, say £500 up front.

EDIT - actually, I'd saved the page of the original advert, and the seller was kieba2 which is still there https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/kieba2 100% +ve feedback on 833 items since Jan 2005. Now 18 items for sale, but all the cars and big equipment gone, so it was a hijacked account.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Scammers hijack a clean account by hacking into a sellers account, change the access details and list an " irresistible bargain".

Asking prices are usually around £10,000, for an item worth twice as much, they net £1,000 if some one takes the bait. As has been said, once they have you hooked they move the goalposts and the item is or has been moved abroad so "please transfer the money direct to my account" they rely on peoples greed and play them along.

My wife's fleabay account suffered such a scam, the problem is you cannot get into your account to stop the scam. Fleabay are hopeless, they make it very difficult indeed to sort the problem. She had not used her account for some time but by chance wanted to buy something just at that time and could not get in. In the end someone clever hacked back into the account for us, if you know how, I gather it is very simple, he changed the details and closed the account down, it was the only remedy.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Well have reported this car minimum of 4 times just done the Lanchester LD10 must be 5 or six times , not well policed by Ebay THEY ONLY WANT THE MONEY THEY MAKE.