Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Luvax units.

JedFurneaux

Luvax units.

Post by JedFurneaux »

Hi all,
Has anyone any experience/tips on replacing the bushes in the linkage eyes on the Luvax units fitted to '30's Daimlers?

Where can you source new bushes from?

Which oil is recommended?

Best wishes,

Jeremy.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Luvax units.

Post by Petelang »

Best speak to Stevson Motors, 0121 472 1702. They have all the required parts and do a good job, very experienced with them. They're in Selly Oak, near A38.
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Another very good address for Luvax shocks which I can recommend is "Vintage & Classic Shock Absorbers Limited" in South Croydon, Sussex.

www.vintageandclassicshockabsorbers.co.uk

Rolf

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Thanks, Guys.

The units themselves seem to be working fine so I'm not going to delve further into them. My query was in relation to fitting the rubber bushes into the linkage eyes.

Also can anyone advise which oil the require?

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Jeremy,

VCSA fitted 4 new rubber bushes into the eyes of my two Luvax linkages for my Daimler 15 as well as to the linkages of the Girling schocks for my Jaguar XK 120. Hope this will help you.

Rolf

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

From what I recall, Stevson told me it's a 90 grade, bit like treacle. I got him to send me a litre of it. If you ask him I'm sure he will identify it and can probably save you the grief of looking for bushes. It only takes a phone call.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

I used the same the mineral sulfur free oil as used in the worm diff, about 120 grade. It has similar viscosity to the original. The Luvax specs aren't very helpful, "use Luvax oil"! It might pay to flush them with petrol before refilling, mine needed to be flushed several times to get rid of crud! Ensure it is all removed by working the lever vigorously... I replaced the rubber seals with modern double lipped types. There is an damper adjusting screw under the filler cap to set up and equalize. Good information available in the net.
For the links, I used Nolathane bushes and machined them to size.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Thanks for your help, Gents.
Some new bushes are on the way from VCSA, along with some rubber lubricant.
Regarding the oil, both Castrol (via their excellent vintage helpline) and Graham from VCSA recommend using monograde 140 oil which conveniently is the same stuff recommended for the rear axle.