Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Consort Rear Bumper Brackets.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

DB18 Consort Rear Bumper Brackets.

Post by NickDeAth »

I put a request on the old forum for a pair of replacement rear bumper brackets because mine are bent, but no-one had any to spare. I've tried the other usual sources without any luck.

So I have decided to try some heating and bending but I need some dimensions to work to.

Has anybody out there got a Consort in bits who could provide me with the dimensions detailed on the (rough) sketches below. The parts book says they are both the same so it doesn't matter which one is measured they are not handed.
Rear Bumper Bracket 001 001.jpg
This the bracket required.
Rear Bumper Bracket 002 001.jpg
Rear Bumper Bracket 003 001.jpg
Rear Bumper Bracket 004 001.jpg
The 3 sketches above are the dimensions I need please if anyone can help.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

leysau

Re: DB18 Consort Rear Bumper Brackets.

Post by leysau »

Nick

The measurements from my vehicle are AB - 242 mm; CD 12 mm; and EF 89%.

I think that you will find that many of these cars have received a "nudge" at some time in their life so it may be difficult to say what the original measurements were. Looking at my spares car the measurements are slightly different, although I don't believe that the exact measurements are critical.

When fitting the bumper, the curve of the flat brackets that bolt onto the bar itself, also affect how the bumper is placed in relation to the body. I found it necessary to adjust the shape of those brackets as well. Apart from achieving an even gap between the bumper and the body, you need to be able to open the spare tyre door without it fouling the top edge of the bumper bar.

My advice would be to assume the measurements are approximate, and be prepared to make fine adjustments to get the required fit.

Denis Leys

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Thank you Denis, I appreciate what you say about the measurements being approximate but at least I have got something to work around.

It's been so long since I took it apart that the memory has got dim. I now vaguely remember that I took the bumper off because it was bent and I couldn't open the spare wheel door. I have now rebuilt the spare wheel door and straightened the bumper (as well as I can). I put it all together to see how it lined up and found I couldn't open the spare wheel door because the bumper was too high.

Well of course it was too high! That's why I took it off in the first place because I couldn't open the spare wheel door. I really must do these jobs quicker so that I don't forget why I took it apart.

I'll be taking the brackets off this weekend then to work next week to get some proper heat into them.

Thank you again.

Nick.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Some before and after pictures following the "fettling" of the bumper brackets.
Attachments
PC310037.JPG
P5210044.JPG
P5210045.JPG
P5210046.JPG

leysau

Post by leysau »

Nick,

Everything looks straight, and you can even open the spare tyre door. All your work on the brackets has achieved a good result.

Keep up the good work.

Denis

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Thanks Dennis. It took a bit of head scratching. I had to make 2 "gauges" out of plywood to the dimensions I was trying to achieve. I only had 1 hand to work with as the other was holding the gas torch!

Nick