Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest boot lid

chrisb

Conquest boot lid

Post by chrisb »

I'm not convinced that my Conquest boot lid opens as high as it should. You almost have to lie on the floor to get a picnic hamper in. Could anyone please tell me how high it should go? Photos in manuals etc seem to be a bit optimistic.
Thanks
chrisb

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest boot lid

Post by Phillmore »

My Mk1 is the same, I have to get on my knees! Still I suppose that would have been the chauffeur's concern for many Daimler owners. The Mk2 seems slightly better though.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

I can measure one of mine tonight but I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. The problem stems from the fact that the bootlid comes right down over the spare wheel tray so that the lid would have to be almost vertical to be out of the way when open. Also the gap between the back edge of the lid and the rear window is too narrow to permit the lid to open much further than it does. It would have been better if they had gone for an arrangement like the contemporary Austin A50 with a much smaller boot lid and a wind down spare wheel tray.

As Phillmore suggests, Daimler didn't really seem to get their heads round the concept of the owner driver. It is the same thinking that produces cars with front doors which are smaller than the rears.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes my A90 has the smaller boot lid and wind down spare wheel tray which is a much better arrangement.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Both DJ and LJ boot lids are the same. They go about 3 to three and a half feet from the floor.

The prototype LJ had boot hinges a la SP and Morris Minor, but this was not adopted, as maybe the designer thought it spoiled the lines.

Age and weakening of the springs will also have some effect.

You can get them slightly higher with a notched stick which you put the notch under the lid and the other end on the floor.

GJT had a fine example of this "accessory"!!!
Normal for Norfolk

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Coincidentally there are photos of a Regency II boot on another current thread. Wouldn't it have been good if a similar boot style had been adopted for the Conquest? The squarer backside would have suited it rather well IMHO, but it has a much higher loading height.

Geoff

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

Just for the record (because this is bound to come up again) the distance from the floor to the bottom edge of a raised Conquest bootlid is 50"

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

At 39" I have reason to be concerned. I shall have to get into the boot with a torch and rely on my wife to let me out.

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

Oh dear Chris, that IS low. I would suspect that the torsion bars have lost their "springiness" somehow or perhaps one of them is broken? In case you didn't know, the torsion bars are the steel loops which run across the car under the panel between the bottom of the rear window and the top of boot lid aperture.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Cut - off clothes prop required - an essential Conquest/ Lanchester 14 accessory!!!!!!!

My old LJ was the only one of three I have owned on which the boot opened correctly.

It was a rubbish design, as the prototype LJ had hinges and prop, similar to a Morris 1000 (and I believe some spurious non - metal Daimler ) which would have been much better, but i suppose the design department must have thought it "spoiled the lines"............

Neil
Normal for Norfolk