Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1934 Daimler - which model?

Marcus

1934 Daimler - which model?

Post by Marcus »

Hi, have come across this for sale on the internet but my knowledge of pre war Daimlers is minimal. Any forum member care to educate me? :)

evidently it runs!!
ZTZkM2ViOGM3YzI3MGFmYzRmNDgyMmQyNjc4YjdhMDQ39PYc6vzmVklJh_A9DsSuaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9wa.jpg

Rolf B.

Re: 1934 Daimler - which model?

Post by Rolf B. »

Hi Marcus,

I say she's a 1933 - 34 Daimler 15 six-light Saloon.

Rolf B.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I concur, it is a 33 model with the spare wheel in the wing, the later model had the spare in the boot, the later models have a different arrangement for the headlamp mounting and larger wheel centres with chrome hub caps, looks a nice one to tackle.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Syd,

just a little note: Even 1935 Daimler 15 6-light Saloons with the bended windshield frame at the top and the bigger side lights on the front wings do have the spare wheel in the wing as you can see at the attached picture.

Regards
Rolf
Attachments
8975757-1-1.jpg

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks gents. Appreciate your educational responses. Is this a model that suffers from a major problem in terms of maintenance such as a irreparable cylinder heads? Strange question maybe but am trying to determine whether this is a "practical classic" or one that is best viewed in a museum.

Apologies for my ignorance of the early models. Give me a Majestic Major and I am ok!

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

They are good cars that should be enjoyed on the road. You will find it slower than the Majestic Major but if driven respectfully will definitely put a smile on your face and others.
There are reasonable amounts of spares available probably as many as are available for your Majestic Majors.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Marcus,

in 2012 I bought my 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé, bodywork by Mulliners of Birmingham, which was in very good state. It was very well looked for by the former keeper but under the coat of the prefect looking technical parts were a lot of hidden problems. The former keeper brought the car from the UK over to Germany in 2009 and until December 2012, when I bought the car, he has run the car just 40 kilometers or 25 miles. In summer of 2013 I was the organiser of a "Veteran Car Tour" which was over 125 miles distance. And this tour brought a lot of troubles to the light.

Leaky radiator, worn out front suspension, engine (engine block with several frost damages, worn out bearings, 2 bended rods and much more), slippy gearbox in fourth gear, prop shaft u-joints, leaky rear axle to the brakes, inoperable hand brake, chaotic electrical installation and so on and so on. But the car in its entirely was and still is looking good. She must have been a trailer queen and driving her for some yards wasn't the problem. But with all these "perfectly" hidden malaises she wasn't a car what she was build for - driving her where ever you want to. So since over six years my elder son and I are restoring her technically and we hope to bring her back to road end of summer this year.

So, as Marcel writes, parts are not the real problem. But to recondition a completely worn out front suspension, to laser weld a cracked engine block and so on is still another target as just maintenance or repair. When checking the car, have eagle eyes to all technical components and don't make the same mistake as I've done when buying the car. Test drive the car more than just a few yards if this should be possible. And as Marcel is saying, driving this car is so much fun and there'll much more smile in your face than driving in a Majestic. I know what I'm talking about!

Cheers Rolf
Attachments
DSC00002.JPG
DSC00001.JPG

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I have it on the very good authority of the West Wales Daimler Guru that we are looking at a 1933 15 fitted with an 1805cc straight six. (thanks Dave)

I have to admit I am sort of wrong about the spare wheel position, most later 15's had them in the rear of the car but some coach built bodies were fitted into the wing and such are the vagaries of Daimler in those days there were lots of variations over many years.

For my part I have three cars an SP250 a V8 250 and the 15 Mulliner sports, they are all three a very different driving experience.

I bought the 15 because I very much regretted selling the Austin York I had restored in the 90's, I missed the 1930's driving experience and wanted to get it back. I spotted this one on fleabay, the owner had sold the original number and it failed to sell, he tried several times so I made him a silly offer which he accepted.

1930's cars are very different to post 1950' cars it is a very different driving style and ride, I like it, but I guess not all appreciate the quirky ways of older vehicles. Syd

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Rolf B, I am presently completely overhauling & upgrading the front suspension & steering joints on my (essentially similar) 1934 LQ2/20. It is possible that my experiences & ideas for improvement may be able to benefit you when you come to do yours. My email is jedfurneaux@hotmail.co.uk or you can find me on FB/Messenger as Jeremy Furneaux.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Jeremy,

thank you very much for your offer. The front suspension is meanwhile completely restored and our "Little Fifteen" stands on her own "feet" at the front. Today my son and I have started to fix the front wings which have been completely restored too. Meanwhile the painting has been done so we hope to bring her back on road end of summer.

The picture shows the state of test fixing before the painting was done.

Cheers
Rolf
Attachments
IMG_20190208_124717.jpg