Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Majestic Major on Facebook

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Majestic Major on Facebook

Post by Chris_R »

This picture popped up yesterday on a Facebook group "Unloved Classic and Retro Cars".
MM.jpg
In the Wolverhampton area. Does anyone know anything about it? Seems to have been there for some years.

JDB

Re: Majestic Major on Facebook

Post by JDB »

I think you'll find that car is very much loved Chris, as is this one
IMG_0896.JPG
which shares the drive with it...can't stand the Citroen though!
JB

DR450USA

Post by DR450USA »

Chris, please join the MM group if you are not already a member.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

JDB wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:20 am I think you'll find that car is very much loved Chris, as is this one IMG_0896.JPG which shares the drive with it...can't stand the Citroen though!
JB
Is it yours JB?

JDB

Post by JDB »

Yes, they're both mine. The grey one is the one that featured on my flickr account during its restoration and the black one is my scruffy "driver". The latter is currently roadworthy but is not insured as the insurance came up for renewal just after lockdown restrictions were announced; having insured the grey one the month before, it did not seem financially prudent to keep two DQs on the road during a period when driving either was practically illegal. I have instead undertaken a bit of work on the black car - stripped the carbs, painted the intake manifold, fixed and painted the two front aluminium water pipes, painted the air cleaner box, painted the fan and its cowling, painted the grill supports, polished the grill, made a new base plate for the grill, welded and painted the panel that fixes the radiator mounting to the underside of the wings. Currently painting the side panels that link the wings to the grill and will next remove the wings for repainting.
The black DQ has been on the road for nearly all of my period of ownership (more than 10 years now I would think) but has only ever really had running repairs rather than a full restoration; I've always been worried that if it's too shiny I'll be less likely to use it as everyday (well weekly) transport.
Cheers, John Barnett

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I have a vague recollection that you and I exchanged either emails or messages on the old forum. I remember seeing a picture of DQ on a forecourt of a house with front wings removed... and the house was on a main road. I'm thinking now that was you.

JDB

Post by JDB »

Yes that is indeed me. We did also meet at the NEC restoration show thing some years ago, where you were showing your DQ in the "barn finds" zone, although as I remember you'd actually had it out of a field rather than a barn. My brother was showing our dad's old Minor on the Morris Owners' club stand, in a similar category; here it is as it looks today, some years on:
PXYV2662.JPG
I trust advancement with your car has been more productive!
In relation to the pictures with the front wings off, here is the link to the flickr photo collection of the restoration of the grey DQ https://www.flickr.com/photos/16147632@N07/.
I haven't been able to post the photos of the finished car as flickr changed their terms of usage and I no longer have access to the account. John

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

That's an impressive collection of pictures and an impressive piece of work, all the more so that it was done on your front drive. I'm very interested in IMG_0769 quite close to the top of the pictures which shows the piece that goes behind the front bumper. Did you have to remake that panel? The bottom of my front wings where it joins that is in poor condition as is that panel, I'm not sure what to do about them.

JDB

Post by JDB »

Hi Chris, that panel is repaired rather than remade. I kept what I could of the front edge but the sides and rear needed replacing; it's flat so fairly straightforward to fix, just make a template from the original, cut off the frilly bits and weld some new metal in. The panel will almost certainly need cutting off (unless the lower front edge of the wings come off with it - which is likely) as the bolts that go through the wings will probably be completely rusted up. I have run the black DQ without this panel for a long time now (and until a couple of weeks ago without the shorter strengthening panel that goes beneath it) without any issues, although I will remake it entirely for that car soon.
Good luck, John.

DR450USA

Post by DR450USA »

John's flickr photo documentation is amazing. I have scrolled through the photos many times over the last 6 years when I was assembling my MM. Such a life saver. Thanks again John. Tell Flickr to reset your password. I think I use my google account info.

Doug