Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Replacement Wiring Looms

Alistair

Replacement Wiring Looms

Post by Alistair »

Hello again gents,

After spending some time with a friend who understands vehicle electrical systems far better than I (I call it wrestling the copper spaghetti) he has pronounced my Century's wiring loom to be "unbelievably bad" and that a replacement should be sought. Initially he was suggesting that we would construct a new one ourselves but I am aware that AutoSparks offer one "off the peg" to fit the Century

I wondered if anyone here has experience of this or any other "ready to fit" wiring kits for the Century? I am open to recommendations.

Mine is 2/5ths household cable, 1/5th unknown origin, and about 40% wrapped in black PVC tape. What is original is in such bad shape it is not worth keeping. There are multiple splices, lots of loose ends, many questionable connectors and pretty much nothing works bar the starter and the running lights.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Replacement Wiring Looms

Post by grahamemmett »

I have just got an Autosparks loom for my DB18 and it is excellent. I opted for PVC rather than cotton braided and saved 10%.
You can also buy a general kit from Car Builder Solutions which looks like good value.
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/14-circuit-wiring-loom
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/21-circui ... iring-loom
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I would definitely buy a Autosparks loom. Great quality. You can specify extra wires for additional lights etc.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

I got my Lanchester 11 loom from autosparks with added wires etc for no extra charge, this was a few years ago tho, really look the parts with lovely braiding and colours. don't know about any other company.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Autosparks without a doubt they did one for my 36 Austin 18 and it went in a treat, every wire was the right length in the right place and well marked, I have also be involved with making one, never again. Syd

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

What few people realise is that all of what we call the electrics on a car are actually worked by smoke.

Under the back seat (or under the bonnet of modern cars) is a box full of of smoke, called the battery, and the smoke is conducted around the car by a loom. It follows therefore that under no circumstances whatsoever must you ever let the smoke escape.

That is why if the smoke escapes from say the dynamo or regulator, it stops working - and worst of all, if the smoke escapes from the loom itself, everything stops working.

Stan.

P.S.
Matron does not know I posted this.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I have rewired a Post War DB18, a DJ254 and a pre-war DB18 with new Looms from Autosparks. All were perfect with correct colours and lengths .

Dennis

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Stan,
I once made a modification on the loom in a dart. I Prepared the area to be cut by placing rags underneath but was pleased nothing dripped out. I checked the battery level afterwards but it had suffered no loss. It could of been because the wires were high up in the engine bay area.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Thank you gentlemen for both the advice and the good humour.

This car is going to be a fair learning curve for me as it is my first Daimler, my first car of this era, and frankly I have bought a worse example than I should have, but I am sure that once we have it licked into something like ship shape I shall be able to enjoy the car as intended.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

You should be able to collect the loom from Stapleford.
Make sure you find time to join us at the East Midlands branch meetings as we hope to be starting to gather again soon. They are a good humored bunch but also knowledgeable and helpful.