Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Needs 1933 Daimler 15 unleded fuel

Rolf B.

Needs 1933 Daimler 15 unleded fuel

Post by Rolf B. »

The next few weeks my 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé hopefully will be back on the road after a 6 1/2 year completely technical rebuild. The engine itself has got a total overhaule with new pistons and rings, new engine bearing shells, new valves and so on and so on and the cracked engine block (21" long) was laser welded due to an older bad repair of a frost damage. Therefore I don't like to ruin the new rebuild engine by using the wrong fuel.

Before the engine rebuild I used to add a lead replacement additive to the now marketed modern unleaded fuel. But I don´t know if this kind of additive is a must for an early 1933 Daimler 15 engine. In Germany Tetraethyllead was firstly added to fuel in 1936.

Does anybody know if it is really necessary to add lead replacement additives to modern unleaded fuels to protect the valves and their guides in an 1.805 cc Daimler 15 engine.

Any help help welcome.

Rolf B.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Needs 1933 Daimler 15 unleded fuel

Post by Petelang »

Hi Rolf.
I run a Fifteen as a wedding car in Nottingham and I use premium Shell fuel (V-power) which at present is only E5 ethanol content. Never had any problems and the valve seats are hardened on all Daimlers I'm told so no need to use lead additives.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Peter,

thanks a lot for your statement.

I myself believe too, there's no need using lead additives. Especially, when - as you say - the valve seats of Daimler engines are hardened.

Rolf B.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Good afternoon Rolf B,

There is no need to use an addative in most engines - especially if your not running the engine for lengthy periods of time at very high speed in any event.

To check is simple:

Make sure the head is torqued down correctly, and carefully set the tappet clearances. Then check them after a thosand miles or so. If the clearances have not increased, then your not suffering from valve seat recession!!

Hope this helps!

Stan.

P.S.
Sleeve valve owners disregard the above - as it only applies to later Daimler "leaping-stick" engines.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

This question also came up on another post recently and often appears here one way or another.

My point always is that in the 50's a de-coke was a regular need in many cars, the damage done to valves and valve seats was such that a de-coke was needed in about 30-40,000 mile intervals.

Most of us do not cover that sort of mileage over ten years in our classics, if they were not fitted with hardened valve seats, as most Daimlers are, they will still last a very long time and as Stan says it is easy to check. Syd

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Good evening Stan,

thank you for your reply.

The engine of our Daimler 15 is completely rebuilt with new pistons, rings, bearings, valves and so on and therefore in need of a thoroughly run in period, after which an inspection of the tappet clerances as well as checking the torques of the cylinder head stuts is necessary. By this inspection I'll see if everything will be OK or not. And, as recommented by Peter, I'll run the engine with Shell V-Power fuel and after the drive-in period I'll make the inspection of valve clearances and so on.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best regards
Rolf

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

Very interesting. Here in Finland it is common that all "old car" drivers should add lead additive. In spite if they have hardened valve seats or not.

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

Good morning,
What do you think about the Flexi Fuel? Here more and more petrol stations are building tanks and pumps for them. Can that be used in Daimlers? Or in old cars generally? I don't know about the policies of different companies. But I am afraid that in future more and more Flexi Fuel shall be used. Meaning that petrol stations are not willing to invest new tanks and lines. So something must be replaced. Shall it be E5?