Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Switch replacements needed

andyjchmiel

Switch replacements needed

Post by andyjchmiel »

Hi – on my old DH27 I am replacing a bunch of wiring (original loom is still good) for peripheral switches and have some that are broken.

There are two 2 way switches - the ivory one in picture operates the partition - push switch up or down and hold to operate the partition between the driver and passenger compartment - release and it centers to off position.

And three of the chrome switches - on/off - for interior lights.

Anyone know if these are the original type that would have been installed and any thoughts on where I might find some – or something similar?

Thanks

Andy
P4280403.jpg
P4280404.jpg

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Switch replacements needed

Post by marchesmark »

I don't know about the ivory one, it looks bespoke to me, but the chrome one is a fairly generic Smiths switch used on many cars; I've got one in my 1964 Bentley which operates the overhead light. Flying Spares do them here:

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls- ... 3572u.html

and I suspect others will also. You might be able to get them somewhere without paying the inevitable RR premium.

Mark

Edited to add, Introcar have it significantly cheaper, but out of stock. They can sometimes get stuff if asked.

https://www.introcar.co.uk/rolls-royce- ... itch-p1521

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Andy, the Smiths switch was used on the DB18 Empress with Hooper coachwork, in fact there are 5 on our car. I had a long a painful search to get 3, finally got them from a guy who breaks Bentleys and other stuff at £25 each.

I had 1 broken and 2 missing. I see you have your switch. Have you tried to disassemble ? my broken one has been left for now as the mica insulating plate has broken, but could be fixed if I get desparate. The device is simple, just a pin through the middle to extract, then the plate comes out. Underneath are 2 brass strips that are meant to touch. Let me know if you want a pic etc.

Like Mark says, Rolls and Bentley suppliers - but Flying Spur didn't have them even at their prices.

I will ask the guy I got mine from and let you know.

As for the plastic switch, I'm going to guess its not original, in which case how about a division from a DS420 ??

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Andy

There is another similar 3 position window switch used on Hooper cars. It has the same ivory switch piece but with a different casing and without the protecting lugs on either side. It is fitted in a shallow oval depression in the wooden door cap rail. This type was used in Hooper bodies made in 1954 and 55 - it is fitted to my 1954 DJ256 Dauphin and its 1955 sister car and can be seen in photos of other Empresses, presumably of the same years.
Dauphin.03.15 002.JPG
I don't know if these could be used to replace the type that you are looking for or possibly cannibalised to provide parts, but Christian Demler had replacements made some years ago, and he may still have some left over.

Regards

Geoff