Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sport bonnet hinges.

davidian

Special Sport bonnet hinges.

Post by davidian »

Hello readers.
I have found you need the strength of Samson to raise the bonnet of my car, it is something I have put up with since owning the car, but today I thought I would try to investigate the cause,I raised the bonnet and supported it back and front and removed the bolts from the underside of one hinge. the hinge closed easily but to raise it again was impossible, I seemed to be working against the springs.I have stared at it for hours but cant see an alternative way of mounting it to have the springs working for me .Has any one experience of these hinges?
Regards David Ian.

clevitt

Re: Special Sport bonnet hinges.

Post by clevitt »

I think that the springs are there to control movement between the two parts of the hinge rather than acting as a counterbalance to the weight of the bonnet. You could try oiling the various pivot points of the hinge in case they have become partially seized, thereby increasing the effort needed to lift the bonnet. Do not remove the springs in an attempt to aid this process as I did, because they were extremely difficult to replace. Tomorrow, I will be able to take photos of my bonnet hinges if that helps.
Chris

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Dear David Ian,
Lubricating the horizontal chromed slide does make it a little easier.
One of our members here is investigating the concept of using hydraulic struts to assist in lifting the bonnet.
I will check on the progress he has made and report back.
Peter Grant

davidian

Post by davidian »

Thank you Peter and Chris,
I removed both hinges and mounted them in the vice with a stout piece of wood screwed to the bonnet part and worked them up and down and yes the addition of some oil on the pivots made a great difference . I observed the action of the hinges and found that for the first few inches you were working against the springs but they then go over centre and work in your favour . It was a pig of a job re fitting them and hanging the bonnet single handed and I spent the evening chastising myself for not trying oil in the first place, still you live and learn.
Regards
David Ian

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi,
Jut get a DE36, it will make you relishes how easy it is to open the bonnet on a Special Sports!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Peter Grant

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

The hinges appear to be designed to attract rust which fuses the moving parts. The construction is metal “bones “ linked by rivets formed over washers. There are no bearings so the parts rub together. There is nothing to do but derust and work them free, followed by grease etc, as you have done.