Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest head torque

Garyhbates

Conquest head torque

Post by Garyhbates »

I am running up my Conquest after a complete bottom-end restore . Pistons, rings, bearings etc. I cleaned up all valves and reground them too.
There is significant water loss from both sides of the head and i am wondering if the 30-35lb ft shown in the workshop manual is really correct (page 9 section A) . I replaced the head gasket with a new copper one , no sealant. I pushed it to 37.5 lbs last week but it still leaks . I have now removed it and am in the process of taking it to a machine shop for skimming but the workshop manager has suggested that it was not torqued up hard enough according to his reference material. His data suggest 40-45 lb ft .

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Conquest head torque

Post by Stan Thomas »

You should not have a problem with a Conquest cast iron head - and in any case 30/35 lbs/ft would be sufficent not to have water leaks - so you probably do have a problem somewhere. However, are you sure your torque wrench is accurate?

That said, if you use a copper gasket you must coat it liberally with engine oil. Then take all the cylinder head nuts just "nipped up". Then torque in the correct order to 25 lbs/ft/ Leave for twenty minutes. Then torque again in the correct order to 35 lbs/ft in one go.

Don't make the mistake of torquing up in small increments as the "starting torque" is always greater than when the torque wrench is moving. Thats why moden practice is to "angle torque" - i.e sweep the torque wrench 90 degrees on the final tightening.

Garyhbates

Post by Garyhbates »

i am very sure of the torque wrench , i even bought new one and tested it against my old one.
The new copper gasket was fitted with a coating of engine oil on both sides.
I did not take special attention to "angle torque" and certainly just went around all bolts with small increments.
Thanks for the advice , I will reassemble it once more as i have also learned that the gasket will only seal properly if the engine is taken up to full operating temperature . I've never done that as I've always stopped when the leaks started.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Just a thought from Someone unfamiliar with Conquests - is it the correct gasket for the engine ? I notice that there are 2 different ones listed by eBay sellers ?

Garyhbates

Post by Garyhbates »

I did notice there are two types on Ebay a copper one and a composite one.
I purchased this copper one from Derek Sleigh . Just found his hand written note on the invoice - 35lbs

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Not the material. There is an eBay shop that shows clearly 2 copper gaskets - at a glance very similar.

Maybe worth checking the differences with Derek to make sure it is correct- easier than a head-skim.

Btw do you still have the old gasket to compare?

Garyhbates

Post by Garyhbates »

The two copper head gaskets on offer from the daimler club shop (landcruiser102) are for different models of head , aluminium and cast iron. they do look identical .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-Conq ... SwKyxfebzv
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daimler-Conq ... Swc-tY5PYm

i purchased the gasket in 2016 so it would not be easy for Derek to check which he supplied but its a very good point - it could be the wrong type.
The previous gasket was a steel type.

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

The steel gasket is only fitted to the Century engine with the aluminium cylinder head.
The copper gasket is only fitted to the Conquest engine with the cast iron head despite the inaccurate information from Landcruiser on Ebay.
Gary what is your cylinder head cast iron or aluminium?
I am puzzled because you say the old gasket was steel.
If you have fitted a copper gasket to an engine with an aluminium head it would account for your problems.
I understand that the new composite head gaskets will suit either aluminium or cast iron cylinder heads so maybe that is your answer.

Garyhbates

Post by Garyhbates »

Hi, I can confirm that my cylinder head is made from cast iron.
I think the previous owner may have fitted the wrong head gasket as amongst my discarded gaskets there are no copper ones, they are all steel. I am sure i have the correct copper gasket for my head and i think that the technique i used for head bolt tightening plus the lack of heat cycling may be the reason why i had a water leak.
Now to get rid of all the water soaked oil and refit the head again.